Porsche

Porsche repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

1999 Porsche Boxster manual trans. Stopped at light and the…

Customer Question
1999 Porsche Boxster manual trans...
1999 Porsche Boxster manual trans. Stopped at light and the engine died. Tried to start up and would not start. Tried 20 times. Waited 15 minutes, tried again and it cranked once with no start, then the second crank it started. Only has happened once, but that is enough to scare my friends wife.
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Porsche
There was never a check engine light or any codes in the memory.
Answered in 4 days by:
8/30/2017
Porsche Mechanic: Pete, Technician replied 9 months ago
Pete, Technician

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

This issue here may be due to a failing electronic ignition switch.If the ignition switch is failing internally this can cause this fault here with the switch needing replaced.If you have not had the switch signals checked/tested this should be done to see if the switch is the cause needing replaced.If this is or was already checked and found o.k. let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Pete, are you talking about the ignition switch where you put the key in? What tests would be preformed to verify the ignition switch is good or bad?

This would be the switch that is attached to the ignition cylinder which is what the key inserts into.

Electrical testing would need to be done at this switch to see if it is sending out signals for starting.In allot of cases on this model this can require a fully compatible scan tool to read all computers to view the signals from the switch to see if it is faulty needing replaced.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time,this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete