Porsche

Porsche repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I HAVE A 2001 Boxster dies while driving fuel pump seems to…

Customer Question
I HAVE A 2001...

I HAVE A 2001 Boxster dies while driving fuel pump seems to be working then will turn over but wont start but if i wait for awhile it will start what should i check

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you ever replaced the fuel pump, or is this the original?

I got the car from an auction so i dont know is it in the tank

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Boxster yourself? What have you tried so far?

I started it with started it with starting fluid it ran for awhile but the problem returned im sure it would have started this morning i didnt

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The door says it was built 10/01 but vin doesnt come up to verify model

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Porsche
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
8/13/2017
Porsche Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 8 months ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

ok, if I am reading this right, when it cut off and would not immediately restart, you will able to get the engine to run momentarily by spraying starting fluid into the throttle body, correct?

it ran 10 miles and i made it home last night it had happened two other times earlier i let it set with no starting and it started and ran for awhile its acting like its plugged not sure if it 01 or 02

Ok, based upon the symptoms, your fuel pump is overheating and shutting down. You will need to replace the fuel pump assembly to correct this. If you are going to replace yourself and need directions, let me know and I can upload them for you

as soon as rpms went below 1500 it died and i coasted into the driveway so it is the fuel pump working part time then
i could use any assistance you can provide

Definitely the fuel pump. Ok, give me 10-15 minutes to upload the directions

there is no issues with fuel filters or relay
i think if its an 01 its a inline pump if its an 02 its in the tank right

no issue on the filter or relay. this is the pump.

on both the 01 and 02, the pump is in the tank. It is accessed by removing the battery and battery cover tray/ directions are attached

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?

~Confused by my info request or answer?

~Need more time?

~Confused on how the site works?

~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.If not, at this time please RATE the answer.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager