sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 17 years dealership experience
9825021

The check engine light came on while driving and then the

Customer Question

the check engine light came on while driving and then the reduced engine power light came on on my Porche panamera 42 2012
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: the light stays on
JA: Are you fixing your Panamera yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: geesh nooo. I can't fix cars.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: i just made sure to drive the car home, I have done nothing to the car
Category: Porsche
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The engine light will come on when the engine controller sees a failure anywhere in the powertrain and sets fault codes. If you're also seeing a reduced power message then the problem is most likely directly related to the electronic throttle control system which could be the throttle body, wiring, the accelerator pedal position sensor, even the engine controller itself.

The first step in diagnosing the problem will be to use a scan tool to see what fault codes have set and then testing can be done from there based on the findings.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The light has since gone off. I put a bottle of beer into the car and it is running fine. I will still get it checked out, but I think J just some bad gas( too much water in it).

Let me know if you need any more help!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
thank you for your time

You're welcome!