Chris
Chris, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  43 years of automotive repair, Smog license
12365498

I have a 99 boxster with foam debris coming out vents. It

Customer Question

I have a 99 boxster with foam debris coming out vents. It sounds like what I have read in rennit that the heater core has a galvanized meal with large holes, and the foam is disintegrating. Can I just have a Porsche or heater shop replace that piece with new foam insulation?
JA: Have you checked the coolant level? Has there been any leaking from the hoses?
Customer: no coolant issue, just very old disintegrating foam
JA: Are you fixing your Boxster yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Not capable to do or try
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Can a heating repair do itor do I need to take to porsche repair,... not a dealer if possible
Category: Porsche
Expert:  Chris replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will assist you today. That foam is used to seal the various ducts to the HVAC housing, and also is used around the edges of the heater core and AC evaporator. The dash and HVAC housing will need to come out, and the box opened up so that those foam seals can be replaced. I recommend the Porsche dealer or a shop that specializes in Porsche repair. I do not feel comfortable having a heating repair shop do this UNLESS they have done this before on a 99 or similar Boxtster.

Expert:  Chris replied 2 months ago.

This is a labor intensive job, and the parts are not expensive.

Expert:  Chris replied 2 months ago.

I hope this information/answer is helpful, and if so would you please help me and rate my service using the stars at the top of the page or 'accept' my answer.
Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for this Q&A.
If you cannot rate or do not see where to rate, please let me know!
You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept. Thank-you!

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 2 months ago.

Hello, did you see my answer?

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 2 months ago.
Hello, just checking back to see if you received my answer from a few days ago.Chris