Porsche

Porsche repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

It's a 2009 cayenne s done about 96000k keep having starting…

Customer Question
It's a 2009 cayenne...

It's a 2009 cayenne s done about 96000k keep having starting problems bought it second hand about 3 months ago. Garage who service it in muscat say it needs new starter motor. I am not entirely convinced as it starts fine when jump started also they say the prop shaft needs replacing. The garages here are pretty poor and not up to western standards so not sure if they are trying to rip me off.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

I think they are ok but I will give them a check and clean.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Cayenne yourself? What have you tried so far?

No I have a bit of mechanical knowledge but not for something as complicated as a Porsche. I can do just the basics. A new battery was put in about a month ago so I think the contact should be ok.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No thank you.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Porsche
7/29/2017
Porsche Mechanic: rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor replied 1 year ago
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor

Hi, I'm Ron and I will be helping you today.
Stand by for a moment while I prepare your answer.

This sounds to me more like some corrosion at the cables ends. The reason why it starts better with a jump is due to the additional amperage your forcing through the cables. It is possible that there is some high resistance in the starter motor too, and that can be tested with a load/amperage tester.

They should do voltage drop tests on the complete starting system.

Please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools you
have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or
touch the vehicle either, so your patience is appreciated. JA is a
great Q/A site, but it does not replace a repair shop. So please
don’t shoot the messenger if I have to deliver bad news:)
If you are satisfied with my answer, I would greatly appreciate a 5
star rating now and I will still assist you after you have rated me
too if another question pops up. I don’t get credit for helping you
until you rate me.
Thanks again, Ron

Did you have any more questions for me at this time?

Thanks again, Ron

Thanks again and please remember to rate me 5 stars now and keep
this link in case you need me again later on.
I don’t get credit for assisting you until you rate me

If you are satisfied with my answer, I would greatly
appreciate a 5 star rating now before you leave the site and I
will still assist you after you have rated me too if another
question pops up. I don’t get credit for helping you until
you rate me