Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

Boxster recently had new top installed maybe a year ago. It

Customer Question

Boxster recently had new top installed maybe a year ago. It sat in drive while we were away about 5 or 6 days. Returned and right carpet appeared wet [no standing water].. AAA was able to start and let run a few hours. Next day would not start. Took it to very trusted mechanic.
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: They could not charge the battery or open trunk and door [both electrical] Car started and stopped making noise as if electrical device was running. They fear a number of electrical devices could malfunction e.g. airbag, A/C, etc. Fear that electrical connections throughout could have corrosion. Not confident that the computer below the carpet/floor could be damaged as well. Fear unknown extent of water damage could drive repair fees through the roof. They imply this water damage may cause insurer to consider the car totaled.
JA: What year is your Boxster?
Customer: Is it possible to buy and reinstall electrical system perhaps from a damaged Boxster and that would not have the water corrosion or otherwise buy new parts? suggestions?
JA: Are you fixing your Boxster yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No it is in the hands of two trusted mechanics that have worked on it for years. My strategy would be to buy new electronics to extent necessary. They are waiting for the USAA adjustor, They fear they will just keep trying only to see they didn't get it all and that could continue etc
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: was hit and re-done from front to rear with GEICO spending aboiut $6000 to make it like new. Had installed a new top with rear windo including defog etc So recently put in top condition Thanks
Category: Porsche
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

The water most likely leaked in from an improper seal around either the top or doors or windshield as these are the most common causes for this leak.If this leak only started after the top was installed it is possible the facility that did the top did not do it correctly and may be able to help with paying for the repairs.

It does sound like at least one electronic is wet and damaged and electrical connections.What would have to be done is to have the vehicle inspected to locate the electronics that are water damaged and connections that are water damaged then determined from there if the cost to repair is more then the vehicle is worth.If the cost of repair is far cheaper then it can be repaired.If it is more then the vehicle is worth then the insurance will usually consider it totalled.

You can usually install used components to repair this but this depends on what is damaged as some computers have to be replaced new and then programmed so this all depends on what has the water damage.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Hi, just checking in to see how things are going. Do you need further assistance?