Porsche

Porsche Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Porsche

Thinking of buying a 2006 plane Boxster. But the ims barring…

Customer Question
Thinking of buying a...

Thinking of buying a 2006 plane Boxster . But the ims barring is original is that a problem ?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Boxster yourself? What have you tried so far?

No haven't bought it yet

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes what years is the 986 model

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Porsche
6/15/2017
Porsche Mechanic: Jake, Automotive Technician replied 8 months ago
Jake
Jake, Automotive Technician
Hey there, thanks for the question.

The least likely to fail is 06 model year and up. They used a LARGE single row IMS bearing with double load capacity and have a less than 1% failure rate.

Model years 02-06 are the riskiest by far with the small single row bearing that has the highest failure rate at 8%.

The early models had dual row ball bearing that failed at about 1%.

so aside from the small single row bearings the failures are actually pretty significantly RARE, believe it or not.

The 01 model year is kind of an "iffy" year. It may have came with the dual row ball bearing or the small single row and the only way to know would be with the engine#

If there was any negative at all about the LARGE single row bearings in the 06+ cars it's the fact that IF they fail they require a complete teardown to replace. Other than that they are by far the best of all the IMS set-ups.

I don't think there is a specific thing we can point to for premature IMS failure on the cars, some say that daily drivers that have good maintenance records are less likely to fail and the very low mileage and rarely driven cars are more likely to have early failures, but nobody has really done the math with a large sample of failures to really pinpoint one thing or the other.

If you have further questions just ask, if not be sure to leave a kind rating.

thanks.

I wanted to check back here since I never heard anything from you? did you need anything else?

Thomas, did you need additional assistance on this? if not please leave a kind rating so i can close the question.

thanks.

Jake
Jake
Jake, Automotive Technician