Porsche

Porsche Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Porsche

Super fast drain on a brand new fully charged battery.....

03 996 cabriolet porsche JA: Have...
super fast drain on a brand new fully charged battery..... 03 996 cabriolet porsche
JA: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?
Customer: i did a parasitic test with the fuses..
JA: What is the model of your '03 Porsche?
Customer: cabriolet
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
5/8/2017
Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician

Hi, I am Mike, welcome. I'm reviewing your question.

Exactly how did you perform this parasitic drain test and what were the results of your testing?

Used an amp meter. Placed lead on negative disconnected side and other lead on neg cable. Watched the meter as I took out each fuse
It said it was drawing 7 amps if that is even possible

Ok, did you ever get the ammeter to drop well below that 7 amps and if so, when or which fuse id you have to remove in order for that to drop well below that 7 amps, and it should be no more than 0.050 amps.

No. I never did. My wife is going to assist me again today to make sure I didn't miss a fuse. Only other issue right now is that the ignition switch is a little stick to turn. But the key is never left in the car and it is and has always been garage kept

Ten there is either a short circuit or a part that is bad. Remember to leave the fuses out as well when testing and also don't forget to unhook the alternator cause usually it isn't fused but it too could cause a drain if it has a bad diode.

I halve read that about the alternator. Is unplugging that easy to get to or do I need to take the breathing element case off??? Leave the fuses out??? I had not seen that anywhere. Just follow chart when reinstalling then. Great idea. What about the capacitors and/or whatever those cubes are behind the fuse panel. Are they something I should test also???

Eventually you are going to have to disconnect every fuse and yes leave them out cause if you have 2 of more causing a drain as soon as you put one back in your ammeter won't tell when you remove the other.

As far as unhooking the alternator, I will see if I can find out how to do that, hold on.

Is this a 911, Boxster or Cayenne?

911. 03. Cabriolet

Ok, for the 911 the submodels I show are carrera, carrera 4, carrera 4s, gt2 and turbo

Carrera then

Here are the instructions for removing the alternator, so that should help.

You said something about unplugging it. Can I just do that or are suggesting that the article will help me with that??? Also what about the cube like things on firewall behind the fuses. Capacitors or resistors. Relays. Not sure what they are called.

Yes, just unplug it but the article should help you gain access to it, like you said, Remove air cleaner assembly.

What about the relays, capicitors, or whatever those things are behind the fuse panel that unplug. Small cube like items??? Should these have an effect on the parasitic test???

Yes, remove them as well.

Okay. Can I get back to you after we do this later???

sure

Here is the power distribution wiring diagram. Instead of the starter, alternator, there is also the maxi fuse o the secondary air pump relay that should be disconnected. As far as that goes, I believe that you could just remove all the fuses from just the current distributor, because it appears all of those other fuse holders are fed from that current distributor, so you should be able to at least know which fuse it is in that current distributor first before moving onto a fuse holder, etc.

OKAY.... wow... that is awesome to have... Thank you so much.... any thoughts as to where the Current Distributor is located?

Here is a diagram,

This shows Removing Cover For Current Distributor

Here is that entire section on Removing and installing current distributor

awesome... love looking at working schematics... no problems.... can i ask another question unrelated to this one? still on the topic of my porsche

Go ahead

bought the parts to the very back of the ignition switch from pelican in florida... i have that completely exposed... have pulled the back off the ignition (wiring) to make sure that wasn't the issue... IT wasn't... will replacing the back piece really help in fixing the key turning issue.... it seems inherent to this porsche model... its not that it doesn't turn but it doesn't have the full easy range of motion that i was used to when it was new... keys comes out okay but you have to really turn med-hard to get it to location 0 to remove...

I don't know but I did just read about a modified ignition switch

I would think a new lock barrel and/or induction coil would be the cause.

just noticed that your company charged me the initial 5 dollars and 5 more times they charged me the 19 dollars.... whom do i contact about this....???
i agree with you on the lock issue... i didn't think it was the back like they tried to tell me

Did you get them charges straightened out yet?

Do you have any test results yet?

You know of course if you have a light on the hood and the hood is open, remove the light bulb so it don't show a draw, also close all the doors and remove the key and wait like 20 minutes or so after hooking up the ammeter in order for all the computer modules to go to sleep.

I didn't get a chance to call but will tomorrow. Thank you for asking. No test results just yet. Will have to wait til tomorrow. Wife got to busy to help out. I will close this tomorrow it that's okay. I would like to leave open in case I have a follow up question. You have been very helpful

Ok, but don't forget before you close this out to rate me well so I get credit, after all you had already made the deposit. It will stay open on it's own though for 7 days from the day it was opened.

I will for sure bud. I have it on my iPhone as an alert.

ok

any news?

Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Any idea what the plug is on top the alternator??? Through trial and error that seems to be the draw down of the battery

On top of the alternator? Does I plug into the alternator? What color wires are there to it?

It's a plug on top but doesn't plug into. You actually have to push in a wire to allow the plug to release. I really no doubt that had anything to do with it. I bought a brand new battery charger yesterday. Mine was 6-7 yrs old. Even though my battery tested voltage okay the new charger at 15 amps still took close to 3 hrs to get what it considered to be a full charge. Went out today and the car started with zero issues.
The new charger cost over 100 so it's a good one

What color wires are there to it?

I believe black. I can go take a pic of it

Yeah, is there only 1 wire?

It's actually wrapped in the corrugated plastic
Far left on pic next to intake. I of course had the filter box out

How many wires and what color?

So when you unplug that the drain goes down? From 7 amps to what?

Is it that Vacuum Switch-Over Valve Holder shown here,

That is it

Ok, I am reading that might be part of the ABS.

Okay. Took all the fuses out under dash and battery stayed really good for three and half days. We put all fuses in one at a time while watching meter. Of course I had to have the door open. Anyway. I am using a really good Fluke meter that is fused on the amp side. I have it turned to where it automatically reads amps. Without the radio fuse in it is reading 1.4 but I believe the car still has to go to sleep. With the radio fuse in it jumps 0.800 Not sure what the actually means. But when we started with no fuses it read .004
Now with everything in it has settle down to .035-.050
Except the radio fuse isn't in

Ok, I don't understand how you say it can jump from 1.4 to 0.800 cause 0.800 is less than 1.4 so that would be a drop, unless you typed something wrong. Nonetheless, it appears the draw is with the radio. Anything under 0.050 is considered ok.

Oh. Yeah. I wrote it kinda wrong. I think I was trying to say the radio by itself with most of the fuses in made the meter jump .800 all by itself. Right now we are out for a bit. I measured everything before we left. No radio fuse in. I am getting the feeling it's the radio too. I'll know if nothing drains down obscene when we get back and measure. If in fact it's the radio what can that possibly be. The radio plays normal. It's the Porsche factory one too.
Any thoughts if in fact it's the radio causing the battery drain???

That is the only thing I see it feeds is the radio and another called radio info/system pcm2.

I would put the fuse back in or move the ammeter to that fuse socket and hook the battery cable back up, then disconnect each of those red/black wires to pins 4a on both and see which it is. If it is the radio it must be something shorted out inside of it and although it works fine, it must be replaced unless of course you still have the draw with those 2 wires unhooked, then of course it would have to be one of those wires shorted.

Was there a first part that didn't get sent. Not sure what your talking about with pins 4a

On the power distribution wiring diagram, those are the pins for the wires for the radio and radio info system pcm2. This one, on 8 May 2017, 3:36 PM

Looking at this diagram, that pcm2 appears to have some kind of screen on it.

So what happened to the 7 amp draw?

I know I owe you a huge tip.
I do have a question. Unhooked the battery. Took out the radio. Installed the fuse and hooked battery back up. Wanted to see if the battery would drain down. and it did. Dramatically. In your ap can you send me a schematic of the amp and radio. It is a Bose system without navigation.

Here is the Radio Circuit, W/ Bose

Hey Mike. How can I pay you personally for helping me further.
Mike S.
Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician