Porsche

Porsche Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Porsche

Is YouTube a good resource for learning about cars and

fixes? Are some of the...
Is YouTube a good resource for learning about cars and fixes? Are some of the people broadcasting on the platform competent or at least semi-competent?
4/8/2017
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

It is a very good source as long as you stick to the ones put out by certified mechanics and dealership service departments. It can be a bit tedious, but you have to go thru them and look for the ones that are done by them. It is usually easy to spot as the person will be in their mechanic's uniform and will have the vehicle on a lift in a bay.

When you see ones in which the vehicle is in a driveway and the person is wearing jeans and t-shirt, you have to beware as it is most likely a shade tree mechanic or DIYer.

How stringent do the dealership and certified mechanics have to go through with regard to their training?

HI,

ASE certification and dealership certification require indepth knowledge of each subject matter, from suspension to driveability to diesel to transmission, and so forth that one is required to pass a written test on. Last time I went for my certifications it was a 2 day testing event. In addition, most shops and dealers send their techs thru classes on new technology every 6 months to a year. It is a never ending learning process as new technology comes out in every new vehicle year.

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager