Porsche

Porsche Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Porsche

2002 Porsche Boxster: went to turn on car and the battery

was almost completely dead....
2002 Porsche Boxster: went to turn on car and the battery was almost completely dead. The lights throughout car started flashing on / off, the radio was barely on and the automatic windows moved up and down slightly. I jumped started and the car was fine except: when I turn off the car, the radio stays on unless I push its own power button off. Also, the airbag light stays lite. Once I lock the car the airbag light goes out. What can I do to reset so those two things back to normal operation?
4/8/2017
Matt, Engineer - BEng Hons

Hello

if the airbag light stays on then there's a logged fault with that system, so ideally the next step is to plug in a scan tool that can read off the code

or even use the tool to clear the code and then check if it reappears

as to the radio staying on then this sounds like the car options in the body control unit have been reset to the default, and you will need the dealer diagnostic tool to change this

before this ther's 1 thing thats worth trying though and thats to try resetting the ECU by disconnecting the battery cables and clamping them together for 10 mins. Remove both battery leads from the battery then use a nut and bolt or G-clamp to hold both battery lead terminals together.

This discharges any capacitors / memory within the ECU and around the car so ensures all memory settings are wiped clear - back to the factory default.

This will reset all the systems on the car and you may need the radio security code to get it going again, and ensure that the keys are in your hand when you re-connect the battery as the car may lock and turn on the alarm

Hey Matt, thanks for the notes. I tried a everything you said, and no luck. The key fob quite working a couple of months ago, I have to manually open door by inserting key. Do you think there is any relation to the key fob, or is it related to the dead battery and jump starting? Also, last inquiry then I will close and pay on this transaction. If I buy a new key fob, can I program it myself like some makes of cars, or do I absolutely need to have the dealer program it? Thanks for your time!

Hello

if the battery goes flat whilst the alarm is armed, then I've known this issue to occur before

however what can happen is the key fob coding gets lost when the main battery dies as the code is 'rolling'

sadly only dealers are capable of coding up new keys

however you can try coding your current key as follows:

1 Enter the Porsche by the driver's seat and be sure everything is closed. This includes all doors, boot lids and bonnet.
2 Insert the key into the ignition and turn it clockwise until you start the Porsche engine.
3 Turn the 911 engine off and remove the key from ignition. Wait 90 seconds before continuing to the next step.
4 Turn the ignition to the "On" position and wait 15 seconds. This position is as far as you can turn the key without starting the engine. The immobilization light located in the 911 dashboard clock will go out.
5 Turn the ignition off again then turn it back on. After 15 seconds, the immobilization light will begin to blink.
6 Enter the four digit security code using the ignition. For instance, if the first digit in the code is three you would turn the ignition from on to off, then back on. This would equal 1 digit, so you would repeat this step two more times if the first digit is "3." Afterwards, wait for the immobilization light to flash then repeat this step for the next digit. After the fourth and last digit is entered, the light will flash again to signal you are in programming mode.
7 Press a button on the key fob and hold it until the LED light blinks. This will indicate it has been programmed.

Tips & Warnings

The immobilizer code is found in the original owner's manual. It can be provided to you by the manufacturer should you lose the code.

Matt, Engineer - BEng Hons
Matt, Engineer - BEng Hons