Porsche

Porsche repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Took my boxster 2001 to the mechanic after getting an engine…

took my boxster 2001 to...
took my boxster 2001 to the mechanic after getting an engine light. it had previously failed the inspection.
diagnosis is ominous. see attached.
I love this car , i've had the car for 10 years but not willing to put that much money on repair as the whole car is not worth the labor and repair parts to be put into it.not sure what is the easier and wiser solution to adopt in this situation.
is there anything that can be done (quick fix) for the car to pass inspection?
it has only 83k on it. works fine. feel bad to just donate it or sell it for parts.
any helpful suggestions would be appreciated.
2/23/2017
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

Is this a boxster or boxster S ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
regular

HI,

Ok, give me a few minutes checking for known issues, service bulletins and repair options

HI,

Ok, a faulty fuel tank pressure sensor will set both the P0450 and P0455 codes. There is no workaround for this code.

It is 1.1 hours to replace, about $110- $140, and the part runs around $270. So about $380 to $410 total

For the P0430,

This is for the catalytic converter. You can try some catalytic converter cleaner which runs around $25 and works about 1/2 the time to clear the code

https://www.amazon.com/Cataclean-Catalytic-Converter-Cleaning-Treatment/dp/B002BVXM92

If that doesnt work, it is 2 hours to replace, about $200 to $250 and you can get an aftermarket one for around $425. Total about $625 to $675

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
are u a mechanic and located anywhere near brooklyn?what you're describing sounds feasible and will run me around me around $1200 if i am understanding correctly, better than the $4000 estimate I was given by that mechanic.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
is there anything that needs to be done before the other so the car can pass the inspection?

HI

I am a mechanic and shop owner but I live in the Black Hills of South Dakota.

You just need to shop around for the best price. You have the labor time, and prices, so you ensure no one is trying to rip you off.

I would order the bottle of catalytic cleaner first and use it and see if the code comes back or not. It usually works within the first 50 miles or so of driving.

I would only have the converter replaced if this doesnt work.

Nothing else needs to be done besides what I listed in original answer

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
you're the man Eric.
you revived my hope in this car. thanks a bunch.allow me to ask one more question:just like u gave me the link for the converter cleaner would you kindly send me links to the correct parts to purchase ?
(coverter, tank pressure censure, etc) that would be a great help

HI,

Ok, give me a few minutes for that

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

here is for the converter

https://www.discountconverter.com/direct_fit_catalytic_converters/direct_fit_detail.cfm?productID=496397

here is for the fuel tank pressure sensor

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/product.aspx?sid=tldx1ar5upuwthm2p05jynju&[email protected]&[email protected]%20&year=2001&cid=fuel%20pressure%[email protected]%20pressure%20sensor&[email protected]%20Pressure%20Sensor

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thank u very much