Porsche

Porsche repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Steering feels hinky. Play in trhe wheel and very tight to…

Steering feels hinky. Play...

Steering feels hinky. Play in trhe wheel and very tight to turn in highway driving and doesn't return to center while moving.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have power steering? Have you checked the power steering fluid?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Porsche?

1992 911 C2

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 911 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have not attempted anything other than checking the fluid.

1/27/2017
eauto
eauto, the car guy

Hi . Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. John aka eauto

can you check the frt suspension for play and wear?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No. I can not.

the issue sounds like a failed steering gear or a seized balljoint the car needs to go on a lift and the steering and suspension needs to be checked.... but the symptoms point to a failed steering gear

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What does this typically cost to repair?
Ball park.

depending on extent of damage 1000 to 1200

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
is it dangerous to drive without fixing?

it can be steering system failures can impair driving

Please remember to only rate my service when you are satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.
I am not paid unless I get a rating of 3 to 5 Stars/Smiley Faces. As always I'm happy to provide my time/service & resources so If I have helped you with your question, please give me an appropriate rating so that I get credit for helping you. Thank you and good luck with your vehicle

eauto
eauto, the car guy