Porsche

Porsche repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have 2004 boxster s 43,000 miles: gear grinding shifting…

I have 2004 boxster s...
I have 2004 boxster s 43,000 miles: gear grinding shifting into 2nd gear. only occurs when clutch is engaged for longer period of time, such as slowing for stop and downshifting. a quicker shift from 1st to 2nd or slow rpm speed/early shift does not seem to be a problem. Any help appreciated.
1/22/2017
Chris
Chris, Auto Service Technician

Hello, and welcome to just answer. This grinding into 2nd gear is most likely a worn 2nd gear snchro ring assembly. It will probably need to be replaced, and if that is the case, you may want to inspect an replace the transaxle's bearings and other gear synchro rings. But before you do that, try changing the trans gear oil. Sometimes it will help the synchro work a little better. So try an oil change. if the problem continues, then have the transaxle removed and disassembled, inspected and repaired.

Chris

Hope my answer has helped you, and if so would you please help me by leaving a rating or accepting my answer so I may be credited. Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for my work. Please rate or accept in a positive way. You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept. Thank you! Chris
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks Chris. I appreciate your reply. I have found some feedback regarding IMS. wondering just how important it is to replace the Intermediate Shaft Bearing also. Is there any relationship with Gear problem and/or should i consider doing this at same time or does it really matter if done at same time? What is reasonable estimated costs for the oil change and if the problem continues, and cost estimate range if the transaxle removed and disassembled, inspected and repaired? thanks again. This is very helpful!
Paul

You are welcome Paul! As far as the intermediate shaft bearings, (and main shaft bearings), it all depends on how they look when the transaxle is disassembled. If they appear pitted, blued, or show other signs of abnormal wear, then they should be replaced. If they are are questionable then just replace them just to be safe. Most shops will charge around $150.00 or so to do the oil change. If it has to be removed, disassembled and repaired, figure on around $ 3000.00 to $4500.00 depending on how many parts will be required.

I hope this helps!

Chris

Chris
Chris, Auto Service Technician
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks Chris.I expected to have some expenses over time and would like to optimimze any other maintenance or preventative items that could be done at same time. I love this car and expect to keep for years. Anything else i should consider doing or reviewing while in the shop? Thakns again for your help with this. very helpful

You are welcome! Glad I was able to help you and thank you for the positive rating!. I would recommend replacing the clutch while the transaxle is out. Even though you have only 43,000 miles on her, it would be a smart move to have a fresh clutch installed at this time.

Thanks again for using just answer and have a good week my friend!

Chris

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Perfect! Thanks again
Paul

My pleasure Paul!

Chris