Cardoctor71
Cardoctor71, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  35 years experience in the automotive and Lt truck repair business, owner Cardoctor LLC Guthrie, OK
36867192

I have a 2001 boxster 55k miles. I accidently put in a new

Customer Question

Hi I have a 2001 boxster 55k miles. I accidently put in a new battery and hooked the battery to the wrong terminals. It ran for about 10-15 minutes then i put it back in garage and went on vacation. I came back and noticed the car was dead and discovered the battery hookup error. I had the battery recharged and reinstalled correctly. I think the radio is out, what should i check out or look out for?
JA: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?
Customer: Battery store did yes they said it was still good and recharged it. I have changed the battery before on this one i was in a hurry did it quickly someone painted a bolt where the neg attached to the body red so i thought that was positive cable
JA: Are you fixing your Boxster yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i would like to because of the cost
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Porsche
Expert:  Cardoctor71 replied 9 months ago.

Unfortunately when this occurs it sometimes damages the internal circuit board of the power train control module computer, and then the computer itself becomes the battery drain, There is no fix for a damaged computer, only replacement, also since the battery was left hooked up backwards for a long time, you will have to check all relays and fuses, and inspect the main computer wiring harness for meltdown damage. Please rate my service, If you have any additional questions I will answer them ,until you are completely satisfied with my answers.You will need to seek out an automotive electrical technician proficient with wiring diagrams and circuits on Porsche. The entire electrical system will need to be inspected.