Matt, Engineer - BEng Hons
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer with 20 years experience in the auto industry, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing
12772297

2009 Porsche 911 Carrera: Key stuck in ignotion and can'get

Customer Question

2009 Porsche 911 Carrera: Key stuck in ignotion and can'get it out. Turns ok left and right. Run and drives fine but after turning off engine/ignition there is a warning "move selector lever to position P." Lever is in P position, transmission is locked and small red Led is showing that P is engaged. During driving or starting there are no warnings - only when I try to pull key from lock.
Category: Porsche
Expert:  Matt replied 9 months ago.

Hello

when this happens there's an emergency release on the column

if you look on the key bezel there should be a small hole of a few mm diamter

if you poke a stiff wire into this hole ( like a straightened out paperclip) then give the key a wiggle at the same time you should be able to withdraw the key

then to remedy it try lubricating the lock with a good squirt of silicone oil into the lock

do not use WD40 as its poor stuff for locks

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have managed to take key out with paperclip few days ago, but that is not solution for my problem.The key is moving freely in ignition lock both left and right.I'll try lubricating it w/ silicon oil right now, but I think the problem is in selector lever position? Or am I wrong?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok. This doesn't work. When I put key in the ignition lock I can take it out as long as I don't turn on ignition or start a car. When I try to pull it out, on dysplay appears warning Move selector lever to position P, although it is in position P and small red LED on left instrument also shows that lever is in position P.Transmission is also in position P and locked - can't move the car.When car is running - there is no any warning. Only when I shud down the car, or turn ignotion off, and turn the key to left - a warning is displayed in red:
Expert:  Matt replied 9 months ago.

hello

thanks for the extra information

I'd next investigate the connections to the brake pedal switch and the wiring to it for any crimp damage or fraying. Ideally use a multimeter to check that the switch is working OK. This is because the gearbox controller won't allow the lever to shift from park until it sees that your foot is on the brakes

if this is OK then yes its could be an issue with the selector position sensor on the lever

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The lever alone works just fine, as is suposed to. When I don't press brake pedal gear lever cant be moved from the P. When brake pedal is presses - lever moves freely. So, brake switch works fine.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
What confuses me is that lever is in P, transmisson is in P and LED display shows P. Just as it should. Still, I get warning only when I turn key to the left - to pull it out of ignition lock.So - it looks like graphical info disply in central instrument, and small LEDs in left insrument gets informations from different sources.
Expert:  Matt replied 9 months ago.

Hello

to my knowledge the gear selector only has 1 position sensor

what could be happening is a corroded joint on the instrument cluster or the wiring to it thats offsetting the sensor reading and so giving in essence two different readings

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Wich ecu controls ign lock? Wich ecu tells ign lock to release or not to release the key? Instrument cluster or? I've checked connectors and pins on instrument cluster and they are like new. I just guess that this P position info is sent via CAN network or? If so than all ecus take that info from single source.Wich ecu sends signal of trans position to that ecu?Wich signal is used for P position to release the key from ignition lock? The one from gear selector lever or the one from transmission control unit?
Expert:  Matt replied 9 months ago.

the ignition lock ecu is the body control module ( BCM) this is located under the dash on the drivers side. above the brake pedal

its this that controls the input and output of that signal

Expert:  Matt replied 9 months ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you