Porsche

Porsche Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Porsche

Just bought a 2007 Cayman S. I hit a pothole and punctured

Customer Question
Just bought a 2007 Cayman...
Just bought a 2007 Cayman S. I hit a pothole and punctured the side of the drivers front tire. I had 4 new Michelins installed but I have an indicator saying headlight level is off with an arrow pointing to the left. It wasn't a hard bump. Do I need to take this to the dealer? Thanks in advance for the advice.
JA: Have you ever repaired a tire before?
Customer: Not to my knowledge. I just purchased the car and this happened a few days later. It has new tires all the way around now.
JA: Are you fixing your Cayman yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I've not tried anything. I looked up leveling the headlight and was referred to a specialist. I thought maybe there was a reset I could try. The warning only came on after the blowout.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No I think that is all.
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Porsche
12/5/2016
Porsche Mechanic: Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician replied 11 months ago
Jaybird61
Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician

Hi, My name is***** will be helping you with your headlight question today.

The head light assembly alignment of the inside bulb most likely got damaged when you hit the bump. You will need to have the head light system scanned for faults and try to have them reset first. If they cannot be adjusted then you may have to replace the head light mechanism. See your local dealer or specialist shop for repairs.

If you have no other questions then please rate my answer so question can be closed out. Thank you for using JustAnswers.

Porsche Mechanic: Jake, Automotive Technician replied 11 months ago
Jake
Jake, Automotive Technician

Hey there, new expert here my name is Jake.

These headlamps have an auto leveling system which consists of a leveling motor and a small arm that connects to the suspension.

If when you punctured your drivers front tire the vehicle was TOWED, then it's very possible the arm that connects to the auto leveling system was damaged or broken, this is unfortunately too common.

Lastly if the side puncture was cause from a hard impact like a very large pothole or something, its possible the arm was damaged at that time, but to be honest towing companies and shops themselves are more common to damage them on accident.

Just checking to see how you made out. Hope you have a Merry Christmas.

Jake
Jake
Jake, Automotive Technician