Porsche

Porsche Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Porsche

I have 2002 porsche carrera 911. I did not use it for almost

Customer Question
hi JA: Hi. What seems to...
hi
JA: Hi. What seems to be the problem?
Customer: I have 2002 porsche carrera 911. I did not use it for almost three months. When I tryed to start it it did not start. cranking but did not start.. can you help please
JA: Have you checked the fuel supply? And are all the spark plugs working?
Customer: the fuel supply is ok. but did not check the spark pug. how can I do that
JA: What is the make/model of your car?
Customer: 2002 carrera 911
JA: Are you fixing your Carrera yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes I am trying because the dealer will cost me a leg. I thought the DME is faulty but I cannot locat it
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: thank you
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Porsche
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
is possible to attach some video clip to help fixing the problem?
11/7/2016
Porsche Mechanic: Mike S., ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician

Hi, I am Mike, welcome. I'm reviewing your question.

How do you know the fuel supply is ok?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am sorry may I misunderstood the question. I thought the amount of fuel in the car.

Ok, let me ask this then. When you first turn the key to run, can you hear the fuel pump run for a few seconds?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I didn't pay attention to that as I wa focusing on the cranking

can you listen now or are you nowhere near the car?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry I am far away from the car now
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I appreciate any step I should do tomorrow
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Could you please tell me the location of the fuel pump

The fuel pump is inside the fuel tank.

If the fuel pump doesn't run, check the fuse, so take a 30a fuse with you and the fuse is located in the fuse holder C behind the left kick panel.

If the fuse is ok, but the fuel pump still don't run and there are no security or check engine lights remaining on or flashing after turning the key on, then try a new fuel pump relay. If the fuel pump does, run, check the fuse/s for the fuel injectors and the ignition coils.

They are in this diagram, but they are the same fuse, the fuse C2 in that fuse holder C, and there is also a relay.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
You said "the fuel pump is located inside the fuel tank" . !!!!!

Yes, the fuel pump is located inside the fuel tank but the relay and fuse is not.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok I will check tomorrow if any sound is heard when I turn the key on otherwise I will follow the other steps you suggested. Thanks

ok

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I think the fuel pump is ok because when I turn the key I can hear some sound coming from the driver side . I checked all the 30 a fuses and they seemed ok. The problem still exists. So what to next?

I would see if the engine will start up for a few seconds after spraying a few small shots of starting fluid into the throttle body. If it does, the ignition is fine, if not, then check the fuses for the ignition and check for a spark from the end of a spark plug wire. I like to use a new spark plug, open the gap up real wide like 0.075" so you can see it, attach a ground wire to it with a mini hose clamp and alligator clip, then remove a spark plug wire, plug this into the end of the spark plug wire then ground the alligator clip, and while cranking the engine over look for a spark.

Here is what my test plug looks like,

Any news?

If it started and ran for a few seconds with starting fluid, then the ignition is fine, so it's probably the fuel system and if you say the fuel pump does run, then most likely the fuel injectors are not working. Since the fuel injectors are fed from the same fuse as the ignition coils, it must be that the injectors are not pulsing. Check the fuse for the engine control unit. They would be the fuse C1 in the fuse holder C.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi I already sent you a photo of the fuse box of my car. Can you please mark which fuse I should check.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry still did not run
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The fuse. C1 is ok

From this point on you will need a noid light in order to check for a fuel injector pulse while cranking. If you don't have one, let's just assume there is no injector pulse then. Then you would need a scan tool in order to retrieve trouble codes to see if maybe the ECU isn't receiving a signal from a sensor before condemning the ECU itself.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi wil the ODBII do the job?

It may retrieve any codes, try it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Due to the time difference I will try this tomorrow and I will send the results. Thanks

ok

Any codes?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will check today

ok

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I tried to start the car and it ran for two seconds and stopped. Then I used the ODBII which showed no faults

It sounds like a security issue. Does the security or anti-theft light/message stay on or flash past bulb check, after about 10 seconds after the key is turned on?

Do you have a spare key you could try?

Are all of those still lit up after 10 seconds?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
They will stay on as long as the key is turned on and the engine not running.

Did a spare key help?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi. I tried the spare key but still cranking without starting. I don't have a noid light. Is there anything else I Should try?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi I am waiting for your answer please
Hello I am still waiting for your reply. Thanks
Porsche Mechanic: Mike S., ASE Certified Technician replied 12 months ago

Sorry, I was offline. But I think you should go back and confirm the fuel pump does run by removing the gas cap and putting your ear up to the gas tank gas cap hole and have someone else turn the key to run and listen if the fuel pump runs.

Mike S.
Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician