Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Auto Technician
94707146

When I stop the car the engine has a metallic tinkling

Customer Question

when I stop the car the engine has a metallic tinkling sound; pretty sure its like hot metal cooling. engine doesn't run hot and is in mid-range on gauge when driving. is it anything to worry about?
JA: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?
Customer: about 68,000. is a 1988 Carrera.
JA: Are you fixing your Carrera yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: nothing unless it sounds like something unusual?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: cataletic (spelling) converter was gutted out by a previous mechanic; stupid! thought that it would help performance (didn't ask me before doing)
Category: Porsche
Expert:  Dan replied 9 months ago.

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you with your question.

Expert:  Dan replied 9 months ago.

The converter actually will keep the exhaust temps down the pipe is getting hotter farther down and you are probably right the tick sound it the metal cooling and contracting as it cools.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dan replied 9 months ago.

Please reply to this if you need more help and we can continue this conversation at no extra charge. This does not have to be my only answer. If you are satisfied with my service, please rate at the top of the screen. Rating does not close out your question. Remember, sometimes it is difficult to completely diagnose your vehicle without being there, but I will try to give you the best answer I can. Hoping to be giving you 5 star service.

Thanks