Porsche

Porsche Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Porsche

I believe check engine light came on this morning. I checked

Customer Question
oil is ok but coolant...
I believe check engine light came on this morning. I checked oil is ok but coolant almost non existent. Going to get some now. I was trying to see what else it could be. Can't find anything on main menu of instrument cluster
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: On
JA: What is the model/year of your Porsche?
Customer: 2004 cayenne 4.5L V8. Just bought used yesterday. Not familiar at all
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Like I said I'm going to get coolant now to see if that's the problem. Possibly has a leak? Engine was very hot after relatively short drive
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Odometer is inaccurate and cluster is very dim needs new LED. Oil level is fine.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Porsche
8/14/2016
Porsche Mechanic: rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor replied 1 year ago
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. I’m Ron and I’ll be helping you
today.
Before we get started though, Please understand that I don't know
your skill level or tools you have to assist us. Also understand that
I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so patience is
appreciated. JA is a great Q/A site, but it does NOT replace a
repair shop.
My goal is to make you happy and get a great rating in return for
my time. Sometimes I have to give you bad news that I know you
didn’t want to hear, so please don’t shoot the messenger.

You should also get the codes read that are in the computer as well. Most parts stores will loan you a code reader for a deposit. The code can be related to the coolant issue, but we need to be sure too.

Thanks, Ron

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No shooting the messenger I appreciate any help you can give me
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I was just wondering what other issues the light could be to get an idea of what shop is gonna cost me and I have to work tomorrow. So don't want to wait

Thanks, that's why I am here. Let me know the results after you get the coolant in there. Here is a re-learn procedure for you to do too after you get the coolant in. Don't worry about the codes for now because if there is something else wrong, the code will return. We also need to see where that coolant went, on the ground, in the front floor board or through the motor. Please keep me posted of everything that is happening.

Thanks again and please remember to rate me and keep this link in case you need me again later on.

here it is

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will. The fluid is dripping from a round component on passenger side. At unfortunately a quick rate

Okay if it's inside the car then it's the heater core. If it's outside by the firewall on the passenger dies, then it's most likely a heater hose.

Thanks again, Ron

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well either way going to shop after coolant refilled. Thanks for the help. Ttyl if needed.

You're welcome, please remember my 5 star rating:)

Thanks again, Ron

rpmdiag
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor