Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Porsche mechanic.
20625509

1987 Porsche 911 Carrera no power to ignition switch..full

Customer Question

1987 Porsche 911 Carrera no power to ignition switch..full charge on battery power to horn hazard lights and trunk light no power to dash or starter
Category: Porsche
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
all ceramic fuses look good and all battery connections are tight and clean
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

So you have no voltage to any of the 3 red wires at the ignition switch?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
when i turn the key it is dead
no power at all
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
had a grand prix years ago and it had a fuseable link that shorted seemed like the same problem wondering if porsche has a fuseable link ??
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

I will look at the wiring diagram. Do you have anything to test with such as a voltmeter or at least a 12 volt test light?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
sorry do not, maybe i best take it to a shop was hoping for a simple problem....was driving fine last night parked it in the garage went out this morning key turns but is dead no dash lights or engine turn
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

I have 2 wiring diagrams so far, the first fig 5 shows the ignition switch in the lower left corner and is fed from the battery shown in the second fig 9 at the top right corner. I don't see any fusible link so far.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

Check the battery terminals, they are notorious for coming loose, especially if they are side post terminals. Grab each with your hand and try to twist both as hard as you can, if you can twist either, it is too loose, tighten it up and try to start the engine again.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
both terminals are on top and are tight and clean battery is full charge light in trunk works horn works hazard light switch works no headlights no brake lights ignition switch is dead
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

Can you get to an auto-parts store or even a Walmart, harbor freight, lowes, home depot and get a voltmeter and/or a 12 volt test light?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

A multi-meter that has a voltmeter can be had for as little as $10 and the 12 volt test light maybe $5.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
that is what I will have to do ..... sorry I am a tile guy but I will get one and get back to you thanks for the help
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

Great, I'll be here.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

So you got this fixed?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

Did that answer your question? If so, kindly leave me a positive rating, so I get credit.