Porsche

Porsche Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Porsche

1987 porsche 944. Engine running, engaged in first gear, release the clutch and car moves forward a few feet then...

Customer Question
1987 porsche 944. Engine running...
1987 porsche 944. Engine running, engaged in first gear, release the clutch and car moves forward a few feet then wheels seize and car will not move
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Porsche
6/25/2016
Porsche Mechanic: Matt, Engineer - BEng Hons replied 1 year ago
Matt, Engineer - BEng Hons

Hello

If the brakes are binding then

I'd strip the calipers down and check that the pads are in square and true with no debris in the mounting slots, also inspect the caliper mounting faces for any dents, burrs, or debris which would cause them to be bolted up out of true, also remove the disc and do the same for its mounting face on the upright and inside the disc.

If you still havean issue then it could be a flexible brake line has partially collapsed and isproducing a one way valve, this can't always be seen from the outside but youcan test to see if there's any residual pressure in that caliper by crackingoff the bleed nipple after stamping on the brake a few times

Anotherpossibliity is that one caliper is sticking slightly so the piston isn'tretracting on its seals

in which case that caliper will need rebuilding with new seals or replacing

One other thing to try is to remove the master cylinder again and have your assistant push down on the brake pedal to expose the pushrod as it exits the servo

on the end of the pushrod there should be a little adjustment nut

try screwing thisin a turn or two and put it all back together

this adjustmenttakes out free play at the pedal so its better to have a little bit of playrather than too tight

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

Matt,

I like the idea of the brakes but if i shut the engine off and go through the process again, it will again move but then it might move more or less. So my question is - can I rule out a clutch or CV issue?

Hello

I'd say brakes are more likely

but if you can drop the clutch completely with it in gear and the engine doens't stall and continues to run then, yes its a clutch issue as if the clutch was OK then this would stall

and if you have a broken CV joint then you can look under the car to view teh drive shaft and see if 1 is spinning with the car in gear

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

OK. Thank you. one more follow up. To test the brakes, could I put the car on jack stands and try spinning the wheels. If there were brake issues wouldnt they catch then?

Thats quite true

with no pedal pressure and hanbrake off then each wheel should turn freely

might be worth stamping on the brake pedal beforehand to ensure that the brakes have retracted correctly

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you

Matt, Engineer - BEng Hons