Porsche

Porsche repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Blower does not work. tooked it out ond cleaned it.after…

Customer Question
blower does not work. tooked it...
blower does not work.
tooked it out ond cleaned it.after that no airflow at all.
try to change power but nothing.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Porsche
i took out the regulator to (no keys in egnition)
wires where still attached,touched some metal piece with regulator metal end and blower started to work
did i break something then....
tried to look for fuses to the regulator/blower but dont know whitch one....
my car is a cayenne 2008 s
do you have fuse diagram or number on fuse to check.
dash show yellow engine light but everything works fine when starting
2/28/2016
Porsche Mechanic: porscheguru, Porsche technician replied 2 years ago
porscheguru
porscheguru, Porsche technician

Can you tell me what model Porsche you have? The info I have only states it is a Porsche. Thank you.

it is a cayenne 2008 s model

Yes, there were problems with the blower motors being bad. One sec and I will get you that fuse number. By chance do you own a multimeter or 12 volt test light? Thanks

i have a 12v tester,
the blower rotated nicely when i tried,but earlier had noice and no fanspeed when driving.

Yes, that is the tell tale sign they ar going bad. Can you try testing the 2 wires at the blower motor plug connection for power and ground. Do not worry about polarity, I just would test it to see if it has power and ground.

i can try testing it,do i need to start car or just turn key for elctricity

I would start it because a control unit will prevent the HVAC from working sometims if the battery is just a lil low so start it please

Check the big 40 amp fuse, left fuse box for an open fuse.

Here is a screenshot I just made for you for this circuit. The large highlighted wire on the lower right goes to the fuse. You can see the ground is controlled by the "fan controller" or resistor

14.3v when started so yes foe power but no for air, next fuses

OK and the blower does not function when plugged in? If so, yes it has failed. Very common and you can get OEM cheapon Ebay compared to the dealer. Would you like the part number of the blower?

40 fuse ok
I have ordered it , still waiting for delivery.
Did i brake it ehen cleanig.
Ehy did it start when i took regulator out and touched metal with it and blower started.
No keys in
Sorry for spelling, big fingers

No, they go bad. You will probably see one go bad every 60,000-100,00 miles so not bad for a part that is spinning all the time!

Me too sorry for any typos, big fingers too

Is there anything else I can help you with today. Do youhave the owner's manual for your vehicle?

have manual.how do i know if blue regulator works?
can it stop blower from working.

If you connected your test light to both of the wires at the regulator and got battery voltage (power and ground) then it is working. You could test it by reconnecting you test light or multimeter and adjusting the speed of the fan with the knob and see if the light dims or the voltage reduces as you reduce the fan speed.

will try it now,ill be back shortly
can i take connections off and point tester to connection or must regulator be connected

Regulator must be connected

Powes goes from 12v fan off to under 9 ehen full power
Work i think.
Is it possible that when i cleaned and put some oil on fan ends that something went wrong, because fan worked before that somehow with noice
Can i do anything else or just wait for part

Well it was noisy to begin with,probably old and you disturbed the connection for the brushes to the motor. You might have done something but no worries, it was going to fail soon regardless. At least now you will have a good blower motor.

Ok, if you ever need help in the future you can ask for me by request. I have a ton of Porsche dealer experience.

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks and tips are GREATLY appreciated!

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help you more thoroughly.
Thank you! If you ever need addtl help, do not hesitate to request me. I have been a professional Porsche ONLY technician for 30 years!
user name: porscheguru

No,because the blower is dead. Unless you felt ambitious and tried to take the blower motor apart and clean the commutaor and brush area but it is probably not going to be successful and a waste of your time

What do you think? Are we OK now?

Hello?

have to wait for part,then i know is the problem solved.
thanks

OK, please do not forget to rate my service please. The blower will fix your problem. The multimeter proved this when you tested it and the range was 12-9 volts. Thanks and stay warm! Frank

porscheguru
porscheguru
porscheguru, Porsche technician