Porsche

Porsche repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

1982 911 Porsche with Webers, limited slip, has clacking…

Customer Question
1982 911 Porsche with Webers...
1982 911 Porsche with Webers, limited slip, has clacking sound with load in any gear, goes up with higher rpm, no sound if not in gear, seems to be coming from rear, the noise is loud.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Porsche
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/21/2016
Porsche Mechanic: porscheguru, Porsche technician replied 2 years ago
porscheguru
porscheguru, Porsche technician

So if you just rev up he engine at a stop without moving forward you don't hear a noise but if you are driving down the road nder load and accelerate you hear the noise?

I experienced this once on a 911 and it was a broken head stud and the head gasket was blown. That year of 911 engine does use a head gasket. Have you looked at the engine underneath and been able to see any definitive dark areas where the heads meet the cylinders? If a stud is broken, it is typically the exhaust or lower stud.

later air cooled engines utilized an "interference fit" head to cylinder contact surface and did not have hed gaskets. But in mid year 1991, the 964 started using head gaskets again because the compression ratios were getting so high that problems were starting to occur.

Sorry for the typos, I am not a my regular computer.

Hi, I am going to bed now so please give me some more input because I can and want to work with you on this. I have only worked at a Porsche dealer since Reagen was president and even if it takes a phone call for you, I can get you pointed in a better direction. Thank you and we will chat tomorrow.

Hi Jim, I am wondering if have time to discuss your problem?

Sebastian Vizcarra
Sebastian Vizcarra
Sebastian Vizcarra, Porsche Meister Tech