Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

I purchased a 1999 911 convertible the top was not working

Customer Question

I purchased a 1999 911 convertible the top was not working at the time
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: sorry , when i bought it i though that it was low on hyd oil . because i can here the switch clicking but the top does not go up . i tried to use the tool behind the back seats but the set screw is broken off to get the clam shell part of the top to open . is there any way to get the clam shell to unlock so i can raise the top Manually and check the oil
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Porsche Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Porsche
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

If the adjustment or operation screw has been broken off this will have to be repaired to see if the top can then be manually operated from there.This may be an issue with a broken or binding component with the roof itself causing this issue here with it not operating with the switch or mechanically manually as the screw has broken off.The roof components will need checked for any damage needing replaced or repaired.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there a way to open the cloth top and clam shell cover with out the screw and switch button can I do it manually if I can unlock the clam shell cover I think I should be able to get the top open . Any idea on how I can open it. I didn't know if disconnecting the hyd arms would work ? Let me know
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I apologize for the delay.

Unfortunately my info isnt showing me another manual way to open this here.If you want I can open your question up for others here to see if anyone else can assist further just let me know if this is something you would like to do.

Thanks Pete