sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Hy, Live in the Philly area. I have an 06 Porsche Cayenne

Customer Question

Hy, my name is***** in the Philly area. I have an 06 Porsche Cayenne and had a problem with a damp smell in the car. Got a price from a local Porsche Dealer to repair the damp smell. The dealer gave me a price for $900 to repair the clogged drains in the cowl and A/C drains. Remove all the interior carpet and dry out. When I went to pick my car up from the service that was done. The*****was lit on the dash board. I tried to move the switch to undo the*****but it did not work. This was not a problem when I delivered the car but did happen during the month they had the car. They said something about the harness was wiping oil I guess in the trans or differential not sure of the explanation due to I am not a mechanic. I think if that were to happen it would happen when driving and having pressure on the system. Not in a still position. I did some research and asked a couple local mechanics. I think that when removing the wet carpet they got water down into the Tiptronic control module or Transfer box control unit. Both of which are located on the floor under the passenger's seat. The water shorted the modules and caused the problems. Could you tell me what your thoughts are and more importantly could the wiping of the harness happen if the car was not running and if it was running for a couple minutes only. There was no reason that the car would have been running more then a couple minutes during the entire month they had the car for the work they were doing.
Category: Porsche
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It's possible that the transfer case module may have been damaged by the water leak. If the module has failed because of water intrusion it is because of the leak into the vehicle which soaked the carpet and the floorboard. The act of removing the carpet wouldn't have damaged the module due to water, but if the module was removed there is the potential that connector terminals could have been damaged. It's also possible that there is wiring or connector damage due to prolonged water exposure.

Do you have a receipt or estimate showing exact wording of what they say is wrong now?