Porsche

Porsche repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

, I have a 2008 Boxster Tiptronic and my key is…

Customer Question
I have a 2008...

I have a 2008 Boxster Tiptronic and my key is stuck into the Ignition, it ask me to put the lever to park, wich is already

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Porsche
1/20/2016
Porsche Mechanic: Matt, Engineer - BEng Hons replied 2 years ago
Matt, Engineer - BEng Hons

Hello

I'd 1st investigate the connections to the brake pedal switch and the wiring to it for any crimp damage or fraying. Ideally use a multimeter to check that the switch is working OK. This is because the gearbox controller won't allow the lever to shift from park until it sees that your foot is on the brakes

if this seems OK then there's an emergency function to remove the key, if you look closely at the bezel surrounding the key there's a tiny 1.0mm hole towards the back, if you poke a piece of stiff wire ( a straightened out paper clip works well) into the hole you should be able to wiggle and remove the key

Hello Matt,The switch on the brake pedal works fine, I know that because I'm able to start the car, otherwise won't.
I'm able to remove the key using the procedure you suggested, but do you suggest other place to look rather the ignition switch?

hello

OK in that case I'd say the fault must lie with the ignition switch to be honest either that or the wiring between the switch and the body control unit

or its fault with the body control unit but if the doors unlock and the alarm disables its likely not to be that

I'd suggest the next step is to remove the plastic trim around the steering column and check the ignition swith connections and wiring

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you