Porsche

Porsche repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My issue is regarding a clunk from my 98 Boxster steering. I…

Customer Question
Hi My issue is...

Hi My issue is regarding a clunk from my 98 Boxster steering. I can replicate the issue by simply holding the steering wheel and pushing it back and forth. It results is a thud or clunk.

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

The entire front suspension has been changed, it also has brand new bilstein struts. I had the vehicle on the lift today while one mechanic was under it. I was reproducing the noise and the mechanic felt the rack was good. He was not able to tell me what might be causing it. The only item that has not been changed in the front suspension are the control arms, not sure they would fix the issue as I really think it is the steering parts causing the thud. I hope this provides with you with some additional detail Sir.

Mechanic's Assistant: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Porsche Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?

Yes

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Porsche
I can take it to the dealership, but feel I really need a steering rack expert in my area to have a lot at it. Can you recommend one, my zip code is 33711.
I have acquired a used steering rack, but am being told the existing steering rack is fine. Looking for guidance on what other steering components could be causing this clunk/thud. Also, my steering wheel is stuck and cannot be adjusted by moving the lever.
1/17/2016
Porsche Mechanic: Matt, Engineer - BEng Hons replied 2 years ago
Matt, Engineer - BEng Hons

Hello

I'd say that it would be worth checking over the steering column joints for any play / slack by having your assistant hold the steering wheel whilst you have the front wheels off the ground and move the road wheels from side to side to feel for slack / clunks

also check the steering column mounts too

as for a local expert then try

http://www.europeanperformancefl.com/

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you

Matt, Engineer - BEng Hons