Porsche

Porsche repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My name is antonette and I have a porsche boxster 2000

My name is *****...

My name is ***** ***** I have a porsche boxster 2000 battery is dead trying to open the hood. I look in the fuse box and I do not have the trunk release slot to jump. I also read to use C3 but my C3 is blue , also try to plug in 12V in cigarette lighter with jumpstart battery but still doesnt work.

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

I unlock the door with key got in the car and the battery is dead. I was trying to open the hood latch to open front hood to use a jump start battery to charge the battery but was lock. so attempt to jump by using fuse box in the manual but my car do not have a slot with trunk red positive to pull out to jump to release the front hood latch also try plugged in 12V slot in cigarette lighter to charge enough to release the hood still fail. Ead people suggested C# ***** the third row , third slot is blue not red .

Mechanic's Assistant: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Porsche Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?

Ok, I know they suggest taking left tire off reach in for the cable to release the hood or by the latch for the trunk take that off to manually release the latch but being a girl i dont want to tear my car apart to just unlock the hood latch. ok on the charge fee just let me know.

1/3/2016
Porsche Mechanic: Jan Andersson, ASE Master Tech replied 6 years ago
Jan Andersson
Jan Andersson, ASE Master Tech

Hi antonette, I'll try to help you with this, I have done it myself on Boxsters through the fuse box. I'll post a picture soon, but there really should be a "fake" fuse in the fuse box that you can slide out maybe half an inch, to expose the metal contacts for a battery charger to attach to. Then you just need a good ground for teh negative battery charger cable. Like the door latch or something. Hold on, I'll try to get a good picture

Jan

right I have seen video where you place the red plug on the red fuse and the black plug to the metal piece in door jointmy car doesn't have the fuse with the trunk positive or a red fuse like everyone talk about on third row, third fuse mine is also blue

Here are the related pictures, the "fuse" is not very obvious, it's pushed in behind other components as shown in the picture with the hand pulling it out. As a last resort, you'll need to use the manual release cable in the wheel well, after removing Left Front wheel and inner plastic fender shield. See if you can locate the pull-tab now. Do not use it for jump starting, it is only for charging the battery or popping the hood. The circuit cannot handle the load of jump starting.

I think I have heard of Boxsters that don't have this pull tab so you may be correct, then it's cable time for you unfortunately. There may be another fuse that is directly connected to the battery and you could use that to give it power, but I'll have to dig around a bit to see which one. I believe that's what others already told you about as well. Also I have heard of Boxsters where the pull cable was on the Right Front fender well instead, but I don't have any confirmation. maybe some other market areas had that. I'm in the US.

I have seen all the same things from the internet but my car does not have that fuse in the fuse box to attatch to

have you tried the fuse 3 on row 3? That was teh next common suggestion

BTW I saw your request for phone call but unfortunately I'm stuck with a cell phone that has no network where I am.

everything on the porsche is lock in the trunk of the car so I cant even take off the tire to manually unlatch the cablei saw people mention third row third fuse and mine is blue not red so i didn't try it

There is one more way that is very frustrating and not guaranteed to work, and comes with a risk of damage to the release handle mechanism. If you have a very thin small screwdriver, you may be able to actuate the release handle block manually from between the housing and the handle. I did that once or twice but it was a real pain, not knowing exactly how and where to pry and how hard.

I'll get back toyou with more details in a minute

you may have a wrong fuse in there, try it anyway.

Copied text from an old tech article for the screwdriver trick, I'll try to get pictures but its goint to be very vague, no room to get a camera shot of the insides of the release handle...here goes anyway:

1. Both trunk levers are cable operated. When the alarm is set, a solenoidlatches the two trunk levers. If the battery dies while the alarm is set, it isnecessary to open the door with the key. Opening the door with the key does notunlatch the trunk levers since there is no power to operate the solenoid.
2. To learn how to unlatch the trunk levers, examine under the front trunklever by looking through the slot between the two trunk levers with aflashlight. Look for the tab on the underside of the front trunk lever.Directly below the tab is a small U shaped cutout. When the lever is pulled up,the tab drops into the small U shaped cutout. When the alarm is set, a smallwhite plate slides over the small U shaped cutout from the center of the cartowards the outside of the car. This prevents you from pulling up the leverbecause the tab cannot pivot down into the small U shaped cutout.
3. To unlatch the front trunk lever, use a very thin shaft straight slot screwdriver. Slidethe screwdriver between the two trunk levers and insert it between the solenoidplate and outside rear edge of the U shaped cutout and slid the plate towardthe center of the car and pull up on the front trunk lever.

ok i will try this methods is this the last resource

if the 3rd row 3rd fuse trick doesn't work with just power fed to it, leave the jumper/charger cables connected, then use a screwdriver to "lock" the open door latch while the door is still open, and then unlock again with the key. That could unlock all locks, including trunk release, so the handle will work. I have not used this trick myself, the others I have.

thank you so much for your suggestion.

let me know what you find, I saw someone online who said they were able to get the inner fender shield clips off and pull the shield back without taking the tire off, just enough to see the manual release cable. His was on the RIGHT side. I have only seen it on the left side, Left as in when you are sitting on the drivers seat. Might help to turn the wheels one way or the other.

Another source for the screwdriver trick: https://www.2carpros.com/questions/porsche-boxster-1999-porsche-boxster-starting-my-car-with-a-dead-battery

And another one with a different description of the same: http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/boxster-cayman/223918-1999-boxster-hood-release-levers-stuck.html

First time I did it, it took forever, since nobody seemed to have pictures of the parts. And I am a master tech and a Porsche mechanic (Was). So if you want to try the screwdriver trick, be patient. Even the pros struggle with it :) Might just be easiest to try to get to the manual release cable under the fender.

Finally found some articles with pictures. Sorry for the delay. And found that 2000 and older do not have the pull-tab in the fuse box.

Anyway, this shows where to put the screwdriver to pull the blocking plate out of the way so the levers can be operated for either front or rear trunk:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic/2751-how-do-i-release-hood-with-no-battery/

Jan Andersson
Jan Andersson, ASE Master Tech