Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

I have a 1985 3.2 Carrera that was running great and all of

Customer Question

I have a 1985 3.2 Carrera that was running great and all of a sudden i am getting violent power drop outs when accelerating. I first thought it was water in the gas as the tank had been low for a while and the weather is getting cold. I added HEET treatment and filled the tank and thought it was gone, but after about 25 miles it started again. I noticed the tach and gauges seem to act strange when this happens, so I am wondering if it is electrical. Any ideas?
Category: Porsche
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The tach signal will drop when the power drop occurs but if it is jumping around or if other gauges and electronics are acting up the same time this issue is occuring here first check and make sure there isnt a loose,damaged or corroded power cable at the battery or leading from the battery itself causing this issue here.Also check at the fuse panels for any loose,damaged or corroded wiring issues.If these are all checked and found to be o.k. let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pete, Thank you for contacting me. I checked the battery cables and they are firmly attached and I see no signs of fatigue. I don't see any issues at the fuse box either. I will look a little harder tomorrow, but any advice what else to look for ? Anything to check regards ***** ***** fuel injection ?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Your welcome

The only other component that can be common to cause a fault like this here is the electronic ignition switch.I have seen this switch fail on several models in the past before needing replaced to correct faults like this.If you do not locate any cable connection or cable issues at all I would have the switch tested to see if it needs replaced.I would also have the fuel pressure tested to see if this is a low fuel pressure issue with the fuel pump needing replaced as I have seen fuel pump failure quite common before.

Thanks Pete