sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 17 years dealership experience
9825021

2008 Porsche Cayenne S (V8) I have been having trouble

Customer Question

2008 Porsche Cayenne S (V8)
Hello, I have been having trouble starting vehicle when engine is warm (it now takes several turnovers to start 5-10). Replaced battery (as I was told that was the problem) and problem is still there and getting worse. Now I even need a battery booster pack to start car when warm. Once it's running there are no problems with internal electrics (radio, A/C etc.) or issues with the car turning off or anything while driving but when I stop and turn ignition off (even if just driving 5-10 mins or so) it will not start again until engine is completely cooled down. Other issues that may be related--horn intermittently doesn't work as well as passenger side reverse tilting power-mirror, automatic trunk button (to close trunk) and airbag light has recently come on. Any help would be appreciated in diagnosing this problem however I'm not not looking for answers that simply say "replace every part of the car and things will work again correctly" as I have basically been told by my Porsche dealer and here I am thousands of dollars later and still have an issue. Obviously that would be true, it will likely work correctly again if I replace everything but it does not let me know what has happened to the vehicle and how to prevent it from happening again in the future...
Category: Porsche
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Justanswer!

Since you mentioned using a jump box to start it I'm assuming that the starter either doesn't engage or engages but cranks slowly. If a jump box is truly what is allowing it to crank then you may just have a cable or connection issue at the battery, if the battery is being charged properly and the new battery is good.

If it's cranking slowly with a good battery and clean terminals then the problem could be voltage drop in the starter positive cable or engine ground but it's more likely to be the starter itself, especially if the problem happens when hot. The cables can be voltage drop tested to ensure the starter is the issue.

If you're actually getting a single click out of the starter then it's power feed and engine ground would need to be verified and then the starter can be condemned, a single click is usually the result of failed starter solenoid contacts.