Porsche

Porsche Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Porsche

Car shows that"Fault. Engine control possible to drive on"

Customer Question
Hi,car shows that"Fault. Engine control...
Hi,car shows that"Fault. Engine control possible to drive on"
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Porsche
9/30/2015
Porsche Mechanic: Matt, Engineer - BEng Hons replied 2 years ago
Matt, Engineer - BEng Hons

Hello

On any car if you get a check engine light or other fault light this typically means one or more of the sensors has failed or has a faulty connection.

The fault can be something quite simple and nothing that’s going to stop the car to something quite major that will reduce engine power and possibly stop the engine

The ECU senses this and ma yput the car into 'limp home' mode which typically limits the revs and the amount of power available. Usually the car is safe to drive for a short distance as the mode is intended is intended to get you home without incurring any engine damage

The quickest route to repair is to have the car plugged into a diagnostic machine which will read off the fault code stored in the ECU (providing the light is still on at this point)and indicate which sensor has failed or whether the fault is more serious.

You can do a very rough and ready check yourself by unplugging sensors one at a time and seeing if any of them change the driving condition which would indicate the most recently unplugged sensor is the faulty one. This method is not foolproof though and reading a fault code off is the better method.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning andthis is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is splitbetween the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please ratemy answer.

Matt, Engineer - BEng Hons