Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

I am replacing the transfer case motor and the splines on

Customer Question

I am replacing the transfer case motor and the splines on the new motor do not line up with splines correctly from the shaft coming out of the transfer case. Ho do I get them to line up? Also is the transfer case module (ECU under the passenger seat) interchangeable with ones from a VW Touareg?
Category: Porsche
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Usually the transfer case control module is not interchangeable with another module as the module is programmed to your vehicle for proper operation.If it is the same part number module it can be swapped over in some cases but a dealer would need to program it to work properly.

See if you can rotate the shaft on the transfer case to line up the splines on the new motor as sometimes this needs done.The instructions to replace this motor on your transfer case calls for you engaging low range on your shift controls then removing and installing the new shift motor.If you are unable to install the old motor and shift into low range then remove and install the new motor then with the old motor removed see if you can shift the shaft on the transfer case without chewing up the splines using a wrench or similar to line up the splines on the new shift motor.

Thanks Pete