Porsche

Porsche Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Porsche

I am purchasing a new Cayenne. My question is 2-fold. It is

Customer Question
I am purchasing a new...
I am purchasing a new Cayenne. My question is 2-fold. It is known that Adaptive Cruise Control on vehicles interfere with other vehicles with radar detectors. 1st part: I am wondering if the Adaptive Cruise Control in my vehicle will interfere with my own radar detector, rendering my RD useless? The RD will be integrated into the vehicle with the RD sensor mounted in the front grille. Secondly, does the Porsche ACC only transmit radar signals when the ACC is turned on and being used, or does it transmit a radar signal constantly whether the ACC is on or off, like Mercedes?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Porsche
8/28/2015
Porsche Mechanic: Pete, Technician replied 2 years ago
Pete, Technician

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Being a newer model the info is somewhat limited here.The radar sensor for the ACC usually is active at all times.The radar detector usually uses a different signal separate from the ACC radar sensor signal so the radar detector shouldn't interfere with the ACC.The only way to be sure is to have it installed or mounted temporarily to the vehicle (the RD) and then operate the vehicle and see if it acts up or interferes with each other.If found to both operate properly you should be o.k.I have seen several RD in models with the sonar sensor with no issues before but this may not be the case with all of them.

Thanks Pete

Hi Pete. I haven't frozen my order yet and really want both ACC and radar detection. My understanding is that ACC uses K-band and so do RD units. My Porsche dealer service dept said (without looking it up) that the ACC does not transmit radar signals when not in use, only when turned on. You say differently. To order the Cayenne with ACC to "test" an RD unit after delivery only to find out it won't work together is not a great way to go. The 2016 should be the same as the 2015 models if the 2016 is too new.

Unfortunately I don't have the exact info if this will interfere for sure here or not.I don't know if anyone will have this info with the 2015 or 2016 yet.One thing the dealer can and should do is contact their tech support to see if they have had any experience with this model with interference yet.Their tech support may know of any testing that was done for this issue here to see if there will be any problems.This is probably the best way to find out for sure without ordering and finding out later on.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Technician