Porsche

Porsche Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Porsche

Out of nowhere I am getting PSM failure light and check

Customer Question
engine light on my porsche...
Out of nowhere I am getting PSM failure light and check engine light on my porsche panamera 2010 4s
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Porsche
8/6/2015
Porsche Mechanic: Matt, Engineer - BEng Hons replied 2 years ago
Matt, Engineer - BEng Hons

Hello

On any car if you get a check engine light or other fault light this typically means one or more of the sensors has failed or has a faulty connection.

The fault can be something quite simple and nothing that’s going to stop the car to something quite major that will reduce engine power and possibly stop the engine

The ECU senses this and may put the car into 'limp home' mode which typically limits the revs and the amount of power available. Usually the car is safe to drive for a short distance as the mode is intended is intended to get you home without incurring any engine damage

The quickest route to repair is to have the car plugged into a diagnostic machine which will read off the fault code stored in the ECU (providing the light is still on at this point) and indicate which sensor has failed or whether the fault is more serious.

You can do a very rough and ready check yourself by unplugging sensors one at a time and seeing if any of them change the driving condition which would indicate the most recently unplugged sensor is the faulty one. This method is not foolproof though and reading a fault code off is the better method.

if you can tell me how the car drives with this fault I can try to offer more information

Hi
do you still need help?
Matt, Engineer - BEng Hons