Jake
Jake, Automotive Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

Porsche 911 Carrera: Matt, I just bought a used porsche had

Customer Question

Matt, I just bought a used porsche had it for 4 days and CEL came on flashed and was also steady on. Ran bad and lost power never stalled. Took it to porsche right away and they say they need to replace the bank 2 lifters. 5000.00 job. What is that and what happened to my car
Category: Porsche
Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.
Hey there, before we go any further do what codes or error messages were?
Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.
Also, was there any engine noise?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No engine noise and the dealer did not tell me the codes. Only that the CEL was from needing lifters replaced in bank 2
Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.
Thank, I was really curious if you were getting misfire codes. Usually on these engines poor running engines that generate misfire codes and DO NOT fuel trim issues are the ones suspect to lifter problems. The price quote you have there looks like it's for BOTH banks though. The reason I say that is for a single bank the quote should be close to 3000.00. You may want to see if they are trying to replace both banks even thought the misfire is specific to bank 2.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I think it was a misfire code. Do you think you Should you change both banks anyway? Do you lose power with that problem?Thanks
Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.
Yes, your going to lose power if its a lifter issue because the misfire is usually bad enough you can feel it. It causes it to run fairly poorly at idle in most cases. When it comes to replacing both banks, it depends alot on your plans with the car and the mileage of the car. Generally if the vehicle has over 120k miles we would mention replacing both banks at the customers discretion to save them about $1000 in labor should the other side need them in the future. This is really not neccessary, but it's something we will offer for peace of mind should the customer want it. I am pretty straight forward on my own vehicles, other than basic maintenance, if it isn't broke there is no reason to replace it. So I would JUST replace the bank at fault and NOT both banks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
BTW I just got the codes
p1371
P0300
P0304
P1362
What do you think
Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.
Well the P1371 with the misfire codes is the best indication here that they probably right. Looks like a lifter replacement is in order unfortunately.
Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.
If you need anything else, don't hesitate to ask.
If not, just be sure to leave a kind rating please. Follow up is always free on the same question.