Jake
Jake, Automotive Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

Porsche Cayenne Turbo: , I have a 2005 Cayenne Turbo. Several

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 2005 Cayenne Turbo.
Several issues, not sure if they are related:
1) I blew the 5 amp fuse and got codes P2259 Secondary Air Injection System Control B Circuit Low, and P0418 Secondary Air Injection System Control A Circuit. I replaced the fuze twice but it blows again after a few days (not immediately).
2. The interior carpet has now started to get wet a few times on the tunnel to driver's right. Seems to be hot water coming in about 6 inches back and a little above throttle foot. It gets colder as it soaks back towards knee.
The coolant was definitely down a bit. I pulled manifold figuring I was going to replace plastic coolant pipes but they are aluminum, someone had already replaced them.
So what to do next:
1. Is this a heater core issue on the driver's side (US car)?
2. Could the water be causing a short?
3. Should I pressure test coolant pipes somehow or is that not the issue?
4. Is there anything I should test before putting the manifold
Category: Porsche
Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.
Hey there, sorry for the delay.
Did you get this resolved or are you still needing help?
let me know please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Jake, are you familiar with the Cayenne? I did get a coolant test kit but have not used it yet.
Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.
Hey Eric, Yes I am a Nissan specialist but do have experience with the cayenne.
You said the moisture entering the cab is favoring the drivers side correct?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, it is on the driver tunnel towards the pedals. Pretty soaked when it happens.I noticed a hose that has some green foamy substance around the base towards firewall low behind manifold but kind of doubt there is anything wrong there or that coolant would leave that much residue? I took a pic.Also probably need to know if there is a way to isolate heater core when doing coolant pressure test.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Pics. The hose is down low in the pic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Foam is orangey not green
Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.
Hey thanks for the pictures.
The Orange/pink froth residue is the original Porsche coolant.
Before we too deep into this and start blaming the coolant T pipes or anything like that, have you inspected the cowl drain on the drivers side?
That would be by far the most common cause for moisture on the drivers side of the floor board.
Let me know please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have not could be. I will figure out where that is unless you know At work today so to be continued. It is odd that the liquid is so hot but doesnt smell like antifreeZe
Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.
Sure no problem. The cowl drain can be seen from inside the fender well next to the strut. There is a rubber drain protruding from the base of the drain valley.
You can use a hanger to clean them out or a screwdriver, from either the top or bottom, but coming through the bottom you can watch it drain.
Here is what your looking for.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/79zhildify787nb/COWL_DRAIN.png?dl=0
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, cool thanks
Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.
Your welcome.
Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.
Just wanted to check and see how you made out?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Drain was dry after 2 wks in garage. Fair amt of leaves but didnt look blocked. Unless it choked up sometimes in turns or something though water occurred on dry days. What do u think for next step pressure test and how do I test heater core?
Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.
You could pressure test the cooling system if you wanted, but I don't remember for certain if this model has a heater valve or not. if so you have to open the heater valve in order to pressurize the heater core.
You could simply try running the vehicle with heat on while inspecting the heater lines since your looking for an external leak. Pressure testing the cooling system is more commonly reserved for hidden leaks like in the headgasket. to watch for coolant pooling in the cylinders etc.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks. Do you know where the heter core and lines are located?
Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.
Sorry just seen this.
The heater core is inside the heating/cooling unit in the dash. The only part of the lines your going to see are where they come from the engine through the firewall before hitting the union at the box.!
Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.
I just wanted to check back and see how you made out?
If you have further questions let me know and I may be able to help.
If not just please to be sure to leave a kind rating so they give me credit for my time.
thanks.