Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I Have knowledge in almost all car lines and can help with general questions and more!!!!!
27644750

Porsche boxter s: 2002 boxter s with brake switch code 4340....ive

Customer Question

2002 boxter s with brake switch code 4340....ive changed the switch, still comes back after 5 mins of driving
Category: Porsche
Expert:  Lou P. replied 2 years ago.
Did you adjust the switch when you installed it ? Also did you verify the brake lights come on when you press the brake ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes and you cant set the switch? its automatic?? lights all function.. proper numberd bulbs.. checked underdash for wiring .. everything looks good so far?
Expert:  Lou P. replied 2 years ago.
ok i will have to opt out sorry, please do not respond or another expert will not see your post.
Expert:  Lou P. replied 2 years ago.
i have opted out,sorry, someone will be along shortly, please do not respond until someone responds to you. hope it all works out.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
still looking for answers on this question, 2002 boxter s brake switch code 4340 sets after short period of driving, all brake lights function properly and have the proper german bulbs installed. the new OE brake light switch is installed by myself following porsche instalation instructions as per alldata pro.
Expert:  Lou P. replied 2 years ago.
your question has been relisted
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
what does that mean?
Expert:  Lou P. replied 2 years ago.
that means that the question has been put back onto the open question list for all the experts to see. ill consult with a old porsche tech friend of mine and see what he has to say , i would like to still help you, i just have only had porsche experience with the newer models, Lou
Expert:  Lou P. replied 2 years ago.
so besides the code , what else happens?? what warning lights come on the dash?? ill need to know all the info to provide to him, he is also a expert on this site but has not been on in awhile, his name is ***** *****
Expert:  Lou P. replied 2 years ago.
ok, i have a test plan straight from porsche, if you would like to proceed let me know and i will opt in and help you get this solved. Lou
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
abs / traction light . that is all.. it will go away after restart.... drive the car again it will come on....
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes i do want to proceed?
Expert:  Lou P. replied 2 years ago.
ok, the end of my day is pretty screwy so i wont be on here for awhile until tonight but we have to start at the top ok, so remove the brake light switch, grab the center of the switch and pull it all the way out until it stops, it should ratchet and extend, then press the brake pedal down with your hand and reinstall the brake lamp switch and then release the pedal and the switch should adjust itself, then erase the code and road test and see if code comes back, let me know if you have already done this, and i need you to be truthful and on the same page with me so we can fix this up for you ok?
Expert:  Lou P. replied 2 years ago.
also not sure if you know this but if you have a brake light issue it will also cause this, i know you mentioned about the bulbs i just wanted to be on the same page.
the options for the code are
failed or incorrectly adjusted stop light switch
short circuit to battery voltage or open circuit in control module circuit
abs control unit faulty.
so the list i have will help us trouble shoot the system.
Expert:  Lou P. replied 2 years ago.
sent you a offer if your interested , you seem like you could test without my help , let me know if interested , lou