Porsche

Porsche Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Porsche

Porsche 911 Carrera 4S: Porsche 2002 carrera4s car stalled....

Porsche 2002 carrera4s car stalled......
Porsche 2002 carrera4s car stalled.... red light on temperature gauge is on, temperature never got past 180 ....car won't start red light is on when key is turned on
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/17/2012
porscheguru
porscheguru, Porsche technician

porscheguru :

When you say car will not start, will the engine crank when the starter is engaged?

Customer: Yes it will crank it stalled when I was driving the red light went on I let it cool off now it will crank but it won't start
porscheguru :

When you say the red light is on in the temperature display, that light is on when you turn the key on? You stated in your description the engine did NOT overheat and I just want to reiterate that statement?

Customer: I don t think it overheated the temperature gauge never got above 180 there is a solid red light at the end of the temperature gauge at the 250 degree mark
porscheguru :

Correct and that light will be illuminated as a self test when the key is on and the engine is not running. It has 2 purposes. It will illuminate when the engine overheats but it will also "flash" when the system has air in it.

porscheguru :

So you were just driving along and out of the blue it just died?

Customer: It sputtered and died 3rd gear about 3200 rpm
porscheguru :

Engine cranks well with a strong battery and no starnge sounds from the engine while cranking?

porscheguru :

strange sorry typo

Customer: No strange sounds. It's quite possible the lit did not go on while driving it did not notice the light on until after it quit
porscheguru :

No oil leaks under car since this happened?

Customer: None. Now I,m thinking it just stalled and it may have nothing to do with the red light being on
porscheguru :

I think you are correct

porscheguru :

I think from my experience at I ONLY work on these every single day is your fuel pump has failed.

porscheguru :

It is common

porscheguru :

I would check your fuse first. Check fuse C4 first

Customer: If that is the case not a fuse how Hard. Is it to repair Chang fuel pump and what kind of repair bill should I expect
porscheguru :

It is not easy if you are not a mechanic or have not done more involved repairs. The fuel pump is in the bottom of the fuel tank and since it is a C4 it is pertinent that everything is perfect when it is replaced. The fuel pump part # XXXXX XXXXX 620 132 00. dealer list is around $400. You can get them cheaper on line but if you have a dealer install it, you get an unlimited mileage 2 year warranty parts AND labor. labor should be 3-4 hours shop time.

porscheguru :

That is, buy it from the dealer and bargain and tell them you have seen them for under $350. ALWAYS say you have a competitors coupon and the dealer will honor it.

porscheguru :

$350 parts. If the fuel pump is the culprit, you will be looking at somewhere close to $900-$1000

Customer: I towed it to the dealer. Service is closed for the weekend maybe I will go check the fuse. That would be nice if that were the case. Thank you
porscheguru :

Is there anything else I can hep you with?

porscheguru :

Remember, don't fall for the first price. even if you can get an additional $50, 50 bucks is 50 bucks, right?

porscheguru :

I work at a dealer and I know the power of bartering.

Customer: No. Thats it
porscheguru :

If not, can you please rate my assistance in a positive manner as this is the only way I will receive credit, thanks and thanks for letting me help you.

You can directly request me here: http://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-porscheguru/

Feel free to contact me for anything as I have an alert on my phone if somebody needs me. Kind of like Superman! :-)

porscheguru :

Thank you! have an excellent weekend!

Customer: Thank you I will give you a positive rating
porscheguru
porscheguru, Porsche technician
porscheguru
porscheguru
porscheguru, Porsche technician