Porsche

Porsche Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Porsche

Porsche 911 Carrera 4S: I put a new battery in my 2006 C4S

I put a new battery...
I put a new battery in my 2006 C4S yesterday, and today it failed an emission inspection because of no codes. What is the drive cycle for this car?
10/10/2012
porscheguru
porscheguru, Porsche technician

porscheguru :

I would drive the car and drive with different styles for approximately 30 minutes. The emission station is looking for the readiness codes. These are self tests perfromed by the computer but these can also be "forced" in with the test computer that connects to your car. Then go to an Autozone or eqivalent as they have generic scanners and they can test your car for complete readiness codes and for any faults. There is a possibility that a fault was stored for power supply interruption. the emission station does not care what fault is stored, as long as it is a fault, you will fail. Autozone will erase these faults for you for no charge. Try that and i think you will be OK.

Is there anything else I can answer for you?

porscheguru :

Hello?

porscheguru :

Are you still there?

porscheguru :

Hello?

Customer:

The manager of the emissions station told me that there is a specific drive cycle drill that I should go through a few times to ensure that all the codes are reset. Have you ever heard of that?

porscheguru :

Re is giving you a generic respons. The drive cycles set the readiness codes. The readiness codes are set when the computer runs the self teest on the vehicle. Items such as catalytic converter efficiency are tested. The secondary air system if equipped is tested. the fuel tank integrity is tested. Please believe me as I work on your car for a living and what you are stating is a regular occurence. Just follow my instructions above, ie; drive the car from cold to hot and do this for approximately 30 mins. If you like do it twice, and then go to Autozone and ask if there are any faults and if your "readiness codes" are set. they will be if you follow my advise.

porscheguru :

He is giving you typo

porscheguru :

If your dealer has any integrity, they will check for you for free also. It takes only a few minutes

Customer:

All right - thanks a million

porscheguru
porscheguru, Porsche technician
porscheguru
porscheguru
porscheguru, Porsche technician