Porsche

Porsche repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Porsche Carrera: Cabriolet..only 5,000 miles on it..warranty..put back…

Customer Question
I am about to purchase...
I am about to purchase my dream Porsche - a 2006 Yellow Porsche Carrera 4S Cabriolet with only 25,000 kms. My concern is that when the original owner purchased it from Florida with only 5,000 miles on it, it was modified and included a "supercharger" on the engine. This was removed at a whopping $20K Cdn cost when it was brought into Canada as Porsche Canada wouldn't honour the warranty on the vehicle unless it was removed and the engine put back to original manufacturer specifications.

I am concerned about the impact on a Porsche 911 engine that has been supercharged. Does it damage the engine in anyway or reduce it's useful life? Does it matter whether it was a Porsche supercharger kit or someone elses? Other than having a compression test done and/or a leak down test done on this vehicle, what other tests can I do to see if there has been any long term damage? I just don't want to spend $60K only to replace the engine!!!

Would you buy a Porsche Carrera 4S Cabriolet if it was supercharged and the supercharger was removed? The Porsche dealer that did the work says that the engine is perfect. Would it make more sense to have a different Porsche dealership than did the original work on this Porsche and serviced it do the tests for me? What tests do you recommend?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Steve
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Porsche
10/5/2010
Porsche Mechanic: Sebastian Vizcarra, Porsche Meister Tech replied 7 years ago
Sebastian Vizcarra
Sebastian Vizcarra, Porsche Meister Tech
The dealer or someone with a Durametric scan tool can query the engine control unit to see the Engine over rev counts. You do not want to see any over rev's in the so called Range 2. If it has these over rev's then it means that the engine most likely experienced engine damaging revolutions usually caused by a missed shift, during spirited driving.

Besides the leak down, I would have them do a dynamic compression test, this is called a running compression test and also insert borescope into every cylinder to make sure there is no cylinder bore wall scoring.

Other than that I think you should be ok, these engines dont really have the rear main seal or intermediate shaft bearing problems of earlier cars. Most common things are misfires and coolant pump failures.

I personally would not buy this car because it wont have a warranty and all porsche work and parts are expensive.

You might want to have a reputable Independent Porsche repair facility do the inspection for you, as they usually are more detail oriented than dealer personel.

By the way, these engines are equiped with resonant intakes that create supercharging effect due to intake geometry.

good luck

REMEMBER, we don't get paid unless you hit the *ACCEPT* key.
You can also follow up

For Educational Purposes Only. Complies with U.S.C. Title 17 Chapter 1 section 107.

Porsche Mechanic: Mark B, Porsche Technician replied 7 years ago
Mark B
Mark B, Porsche Technician
Please don't accept my answer, just wanting to add a few details from the Answer Sebastian made that I though would help you.

The 06 911 would have range 1-6 for over rev's, 1-3 being typically warrantable, and 4-6 not. I wouldn't trust that engine after being so heavily modified, Porsche didn't feel that engine was up to the job of being in the turbo model for a reason. That generation still had problems with the intermediate shaft after Porsche upgraded the bearing just not as common. The 997 C4S is a beautiful vehicle, in my professional opinion there would be to much opportunity for failure, you can almost guarantee that it was driven hard, why else would you install a SC?

The 06 911 would have range 1-6 for over rev's, 1-3 being typically warrantable, and 4-6 not. I wouldn't trust that engine after being so heavily modified, Porsche didn't feel that engine was up to the job of being in the turbo model for a reason. That generation still had problems with the intermediate shaft after Porsche upgraded the bearing just not as common and this could only make it more likely. The 997 C4S is a beautiful vehicle, in my professional opinion there would be to much opportunity for failure, you can almost guarantee that it was driven hard, why else would you install a SC?

I am not sure why it was supercharged as the body was modified to a GT3 look at well. The owner doesn't know why it was done but felt that he wanted the warranty more than he wanted the supercharger. He was just surprised that it cost him $20K.

Can any of your read French as I could send you the service records and you could look at exactly what they did. Can I send you attachments in PDF format? The owner told me that it was "turbo-charged" but the Porsche dealer told me that it was "super-charged", which I understand is a HUGE difference. Everyone has told me to stay away from any turbo-charged regular engine as I understand it could ruin it or significantly reduce the engine's life likely causing me to replace the engine sooner rather than later. Any thoughts?

I googled this but I can't seem to find an Independent Porsche Repair Facility in Montreal, Quebec. Any idea where I find one? I would rather have an independent facility do this work for exactly the same reasons as you suggest. I think the dealer is looking out more for their existing client than for me.

Unfortunately I do not speak french, as for the shop I am not a local. Sorry. Whether it was super or turbocharged, this engine was not designed for this. Good luck.