Porsche

Porsche repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

1989 Carrera: Starter motor..solenoid does not engage..hill…

I'm having starter problems with...
I'm having starter problems with 1989 Carrera. Starter motor sounds like it's spinning, but solenoid does not engage. Jump started the car down a hill, got to my parking garage and shut down the car. Tried starter again and it started right up (while it was hot). It started yesterday OK, drove to mother-in-laws's for lunch and car would not start after sitting two hours.
6/28/2010
Jerry, Master Mechanic

Hello and welcome to Just answer.com, Super mechanic here. About your vehicle.

Is the starter still just spinning and not "kicking" in?

Yes. Additionaly, after I drive to work or home and turn the car off, it will start no problem. So it will start when it's hot but not cold. Could it be something about the solenoid? I'll may go ahead and replace the starter since I have it and see if that fixes the problem.
Yes, that is the starter solenoid that is sticking when cold. You will want to be sure that there is not any grinding though between the starter and the ring gear when it's hot or cold.

Jerry, Master Mechanic
By the way, where are you located, just on the off chance that you may be anywhere near Charlotte, NC.?
I normally am in SC, but have been here in NY for a little bit. I did know some good techs in the Charlotte area, but lost track of them over the years.
OK. Thanks for your help.
Your welcome and come again, anytime, thanks