Porsche

Porsche repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Porsche: idle..i hasd the oil changed and batterie changed...after…

Customer Question
I just purchased a Porsche...
I just purchased a Porsche 1988 carerra 911 turbo.
it was idle for two years. i hasd the oil changed and batterie changed.
after running for about 3 miles a huge cloud of white smoke came out of the exhaust.
All gages were ok for pressure and temp.
what is the cause of this and what needs to be repaired
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Porsche
6/22/2010
Porsche Mechanic: Jan Andersson, ASE Master Tech replied 8 years ago
Jan Andersson
Jan Andersson, ASE Master Tech

this can happen if the oil gets overfilled for any reason.

I don't know how you did the oil change but here's the procedure just in case:

After draining the old oil from all 3 locations, (under turbo catch tank, engine case, and oil tank) put the drain plugs back in, put in 8-9 quarts of oil and start the engine. Let it reach normal operating temperature on level ground, checking the front oil cooler temperature when it gets near normal temp. When the oil cooler or cooler lines start getting warm, you will know that the thermostat has opened. Now check the oil level while the engine is idling. You will need a couple more quarts. Fill slowly, up to maybe 1/8" from the MAX mark on the dipstick. Don't fill all the way to the max mark. The huge volume of oil expands a lot when it gets hot.

Double check your oil level first. Fully warmed up, idling, parked on level ground.