Porsche

Porsche repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

porsche: Hi,im a poor Cathedral Organist who knows nothing about cars…

Customer Question
Hi, I'm a poor Cathedral Organist...
I'm a poor Cathedral Organist who knows nothing about cars. But, i do know that i want a porsche. Being, poor, i've got a really small budget. Would it be best to hire a porsche finder like Phil Raby, to do the job for me? Ta
Luke
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Porsche
6/13/2010
Porsche Mechanic: Jan Andersson, ASE Master Tech replied 8 years ago
Jan Andersson
Jan Andersson, ASE Master Tech

aving worked as the lead tech and shop manager at a porsche shop... I can say that if you can just barely afford to BUY one, you probably won't be able to maintain it. They need maintenance just like any other car, and they will need parts. Everything is much more expensive than for example a Toyota camry parts. By a lot.

I don't know if you are looking for an older classic, aircooled Porsche, or if you'd be more interested in the later watercooled models, including the entry level model Boxster. Let me know which direction you were thinking of going, and I can share my thoughts on them.

Do you have a certain model in mind or a year?

Jan

Hi Jan, (is that male, yan or lady jan??)
Thanks very much for the response.

My only wish list would be convertible, other than that....
In terms of budget i was thinking, C.£7000 to buy, then about £800 for annual insurance then a budget of about £1200 for annual maintenance, i've got a mechanic friend who could help with this....

How does this look to you?

Advert details
Summary
Category Porsche Other Models
Sub category Boxster (986) : 1997-2004
Title Immaculate Boxster S at a bargain price!
Location London or Cambridge
Price 11000
Sale type Private
Details
Mileage 69000
Year 2003
Telephone XXXXXXXXXXX
Exterior Colour Lapis Blue
Manual or Tipronic / PDK Manual
Wheel Size & Style 18" with Carrera Alloys
Additional information THIS CAR IS IMMACULATE - CHECK THE PRICE, SPEC AND YEAR AND THEN TRY AND FIND ONE BETTER ON PH!

Lapis Blue with full Metropole blue (navy) leather and navy hood.

Facelift 986 Model - the main features being a very slight increase in power over the older model, Bi-Xenon clear lenses with headlamp wash and an heated glass rear window, improved bodywork around the air in-takes.

S Model - 3179cc (260bhp), 6 speed, S insignia, 18" alloys and red brake calipers.

FSH at OPC or Jaz of Wembley (very well regarded Porsche specialists) with a minor and yearly service having been done last year which included new discs and pads all around.

MOT expires 31/07/10.

Tax expires 30/04/10.

There is a Tesco warranty on the car until 13/09/10 which will be transferred to the new keeper.

HPI Clear.

Upgraded BOSE Sound System with extra speakers.

6 CD auto-changer in the front boot.

Colour Sat-Nav with European discs and phone module.

On-Board-Computer (OBC).

Automatic air-con.

Porsche Stability Management (PSM).

18" Carrera Alloys with new Michelin Pilot Sports (all 4 replaced last year).

By-pass pipes (sounds superb and even more sporty but without the insurance hassle of a full sports exhaust).

Usual power-fold convertible roof, electric mirrors, both sets of keys, remote alarm with central locking, electric windows and mirrors, ABS, twin air-bags, adjustable steering column with power steering.

I have spent over £500 this month making sure that everything is perfect and ready for the new keeper (including new oxygen sensors all round).

The honesty part - there is very light curbing on 2 of the Alloys and the odd minor stonechip but nothing overly noticeable or that you can see from a couple of feet away (plus fully reflected in keen price).

Private plate on the car thrown in for free (worth £835).

At this price no offers.

Hi Luke,

It's male, Yawn :) Scandinavian origins.. now live in Florida.

Anyways, the Boxster is probably the closest model in the lineup to be considered a "daily driver", or the most reasonable cost wise to maintain. The non-S leaves me cold, it's slower than a V6 Camry.... the S is a little better, but still not a true sportscar to me. Handlung however should be superb, both ride well. They have a nice feel of higher end materials and quality fit & finish throughout. Compared to your run of the mill little cars.

The Boxster does have it's own little quirks, but nothing too serious. Look for oil leaks on top of the engine as well as under. The engine bay takes a while to get access to.... I'm sure the owner would show the engine to you. It will probably be dusty and dirty, don't let that alone scare you. It's because of where it is located.

The MAF sensor typically goes bad at least every 40k interval, if not more frequently. Design flaw more than anything. It would turn the Check Engine light on and give you two error codes, I forgot what they were but I can look it up if you want. The MAF can be cleaned and it would work again for a few miles.. few hundred miles, or even 20k. You never can tell.

Second issue is what's called the oil-air separator. It's part of teh crankcase breathing system, intended to keep oil mist contained well, separated from the air, so it can be returned back into the engine while allowing breathing. The thing has a diaphgram inside that can rupturer and allow too much oil mist to be drawn into the intake. The bottom of the OAS has an accordeon tube dconnecting it to the engine, and that section can crack and cause an air leak. resulting in lean condition. Like an intake air leak.

The car is reasonably easy to work on, except for the engine that is buried pretty deep.

The front of the engine can be accessed from inside the car, there's an access door behind the seats. That's how you get to the belt and stuff.

If you can, try to get a good look under the car, look for evidence of coolant leaks near the front of the engine and oil leaks anywhere you can see.

Upon starting, pay attention to what comes out of the tailpipe. Sometimes they belch out a lot of white smoke. The next day and months after it may be fine. If you get that cloud of white smoke, I would walk away. There are a couple of possibilities but the fixes for each require money. I understand you just want to hop in and drive without a care in the world :)

Run the convertible top through it's range a couple of times, making sure it works flawlessly every time. The door windows need to crack open a tiny bit when the doors are opened or when the top is opened. Hmm maybe they roll all the way down when you open the top. Anyways, the door windows need to move on their own when said actions are taken.

The top is not the most reliable thing out there but it's fairly easy to work on. You may lose an actuator cable some time but replacing those is a snap. Then you need to know to align it right. Some people have had trouble with the top position sensors or microswitches being out of adjustment and causing the top to not close or unlock properly.

Out of all the Porsches, the Boxster is perhaps the most sensible purchase. Also, for me at least, near the boring end of the lineup too unfortunately. A nice car still. Doesn't require a Porsche expert to own and operate, you can treat it like a normal car. Your basic nice quality get in and go vehicle, with a fancy badge on the hood ;)

The best features are of course the convertible top, and the weight distribution/handling. The little car has potential. RUF saw it too and a few years ago they put in a 911 engine and a bodykit on a Bosxter and it made the little car into what it should have been from the beginning. FAST.

I can't comment on pricing since you are in the UK and I'm in the US.

I hope my comments will help you with your decision.