Pool and Spa

Questions about pool repair? Ask an Expert online.

When should I back flash my filter. I just opened my pool…

Customer Question
When should I back...

When should I back flash my filter

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

I just opened my pool today but there is alot of scum on the top of the water

Contractor's Assistant: Who manufactured the pool?

I got it from great escape and the filter is a hayward pro voyager with a nature vision pro attached

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Alot of the tree leaves that was on the top of the pool cover which was scummy and slimmy fell in I got in the awful pool and tried to get it out and Im going to do the work myself

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

So I shocked it and put the opening chemicals in

Submitted: 22 days ago.Category: Pool and Spa
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
5/27/2018
Pool and Spa Expert: David Bowden, Pool and Spa Certified replied 22 days ago
David Bowden
David Bowden, Pool and Spa Certified

Hello and welcome to Just Answer… My name is ***** ***** allow me a few moments while I do some research, my recommendation will appear shortly.

If the pressure gauge reads 15-22 psi it should be back washed, if the pressure gauge is higher than 22 the filter needs the be disassembled and washed. Recommend doing this after you have cleaned the pool that way the filter and pool are both clean at the same time.

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
I have cleaned my filter cartilage Twice and the pressure is still at 22

If the cartridge is clean like it was new you should be around 10-12 psi. Those pleated paper types get clogged up quick and can be hard to clean completely. I would also check to make sure you have strong circulation by placing you hand over the return hole inside the pool. You should feel strong water coming out like a garden hose on full. If not then the problem is most likely at your filter unless you have a valve partially closed somewhere.

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Should I get a new filter. Mine is a year old and like I said I cleaned it twice I have pressure but it’s not extremely high
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
I only have one valve and that is open

If you have strong circulation and a clean filter, don't worry too much about the pressure, just keep an eye on it. If it starts going about 25-27 psi in a short amount of time you may consider replacing the filter cartridge. It is always nice to have a spare filter ready to be changed if needed. If you get the same pressure readings with a new filter, you can simply keep a watchful eye on the pressure and when it gets near 1.5 to 2 times the clean pressure, it is time to clean or replace depending on the usage and dirt that gets filtered.

It has been my pleasure assisting you with your question today, however if you need additional service please let me know and we can continue with this posting.

One of the goals here at Just Answer, is to provide each customer with the best experience possible and for the experts to earn a 5 Star Rating based on their responses, recommendations, and professionalism, when answering questions. If I have achieved that goal for this question, please take a few moments to rate my service and select the 5 Stars before logging out.

Enjoy the rest of your day,

Dave

David Bowden
David Bowden
David Bowden, Pool and Spa Certified