Pool and Spa

Questions about pool repair? Ask an Expert online.

I have a pentair d.e. filter on my in ground pool, i cant…

Customer Question
I have a pentair...

I have a pentair d.e. filter on my in ground pool , i cant keep water flow through the filter more than 30 minutes then it loses pressure , i've cleaned the filter atleast 4 times in the last week it doesnt look as dirty as i've seen it in the past, HELP!

Contractor's Assistant: Who manufactured the pool?

My pool was built in 1968 , its an iold concrete pool with one return and the main drain

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I have for the last 20 years

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

It runs 24 7 if i put it in recirculation and bypass the filter

Submitted: 27 days ago.Category: Pool and Spa
5/26/2018
Pool and Spa Expert: David Bowden, Pool and Spa Certified replied 27 days ago
David Bowden
David Bowden, Pool and Spa Certified

Hello and welcome to Just Answer… My name is ***** ***** allow me a few moments while I do some research, my recommendation will appear shortly.

Most likely the problem is air trapped in the filter which is causing the pump to lose the prime. Do you have an air relief valve installed on the filter?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
i think its dirty filters

It could be dirty filters, however you can not be sure until all the air is removed from the system. Do you have an air relief valve installed?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
No thanks

In order for me to assist you better, can you please answer my question regarding the air relief valve. Thanks

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
it has a air release valve , when opened it runs a little bit better but as soon as I close it it slows

You need to open it slightly to let all the air escape so the filter will fill up with water. When the filter is full of water it will come out of the relief valve. Once that occurs you can close it. You pump should be full of water with very few air bubbles and if you filter is clean the gauge will read between 10-12 psi. If the gauge is above 20-22 psi the filter needs cleaning, which means you will need to remove all the grids and wash them off 100% and clean out the filter can.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Ive had this pool 20 years , your giving me basic 101 pool advice that doesnt help me

The advice I am giving you is 95% of pool problems. We need to start somewhere since I am not in front of the equipment to know exactly what is going on and observing the problems. If you do not have the system performing as I listed, I am not able to proceed further, based on the limited information provided.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I understand but i have opened this 19 times before it seems like its always something different

It could very well be you have some other problem and I need your assistance to work through it so we can narrow down where the problem may be coming from. The 1st step is to remove all the air and then read the info off the pressure gauge. That will tell us a lot.

Dirty filters are not going to give you a zero reading on the gauge, you should be reading well over 20,25, even 30 psi

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Zer0 on gauge

Your water level should be slightly higher than 1/2 way in the skimmer and you should feel strong suction under the skimmer basket.

Zero on the gauge is usually due to air in the filter. The pump can not overcome the air pressure and draw the water uphill. All it does is release the little amount of water it is trying to draw and it certainly can not move enough water to force the air out of the filter through the bottom since the air is lightly and wants to rise.

You can not open the air valve very much since no pressure is built up in the filter. You must open it slightly, let a small amount of air escape and close it to let the pressure build up. Once it gets to around 5 psi open it slightly again to release more air and try to maintain the 5 psi or higher. As the filter begins to fill with water the air pressure will build up and become strong out the relief valve, and the pump will begin to draw more water and less air.

Pool and Spa Expert: David Bowden, Pool and Spa Certified replied 25 days ago

Greetings… Just following up to see if you were still needing some help answering your question?

Thanks,

Dave

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Nope

Thank you for the reply and enjoy the long weekend.

One of the goals here at Just Answer, is to provide each customer with the best experience possible and for the experts to earn a 5 Star Rating based on their responses, recommendations, and professionalism, when answering questions. If I have achieved that goal for this question, please take a few moments to rate my service and select the 5 Stars before logging out.

It has been my pleasure providing an answer for you today, however if additional service is needed, please use the reply box to let me know and I will respond back once I have the requested information.

Enjoy the rest of your day,

Dave