Pool and Spa

Questions about pool repair? Ask an Expert online.

My pool dealer/maintenance company suggested that I drain my…

My pool dealer/maintenance company...

My pool dealer/maintenance company suggested that I drain my fiberglass pool and have it acid washed. They said to do this because it's been more than 5 years since this was done to our pool. And here's part of my concern - I don't ever remember them doing an acid wash in the past and we've had the pool for 13 years. Should our pool be completely drained for an acid wash?

Contractor's Assistant: Who manufactured the pool?

I'd have to look at the booklet we have. I don't recall the manufacturer's name off the top of my head.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

There is a stain under the pool light that we have not been able to remove for years. Based on the pictures and description I provided them, a local place that sells pool chemicals thought that is was brown algae. When I use chemicals and scrub it, some of the stain goes away, but it comes right back. I'm wondering if an acid bath would help remove the stain.

3/29/2018
David Bowden
David Bowden, Pool and Spa Certified

Hello and welcome to Just Answer… My name is ***** ***** allow me a few moments while I do some research, my recommendation will appear shortly.

If it helps, I believe our fiberglass pool manufacturer is Blue Hawaiian.

An acid wash is normally required if you are getting ready to paint or re-plaster, or if you have a really bad algae problem or a lot of stains. If you keep a really clean pool, chemical balance, and clean filters, you should not need an acid bath. I would investigate this a bit more and ask a few more opinions from reputable pool contractors. Sounds like the supplier is trying to sell you services you don't need. Here is a link to better understand when to acid wash.

http://www.poolcenter.com/acidwash

http://blog.intheswim.com/fiberglass-pool-stain-removal-prevention/

Just following up as to whether this information was helpful in answering your question, or do you still need assistance? Please let me know by replying in the box below.

Thanks

Dave

Hello, I was reviewing my open questions and noticed this one has not been replied too, however I did respond with an answer back on March 29, 2018 and therefore I am wondering if that has resolved the problem you were experiencing. I would greatly appreciate a reply email, so I can complete this open question, or just let me know if you need further assistance, and I can continue to look for another solution.

I found the same information you provided before I contacted Just Answers so that part wasn’t very helpful. Your assessment and opinion was helpful, though, since you are an unbiased person in the situation. Thank you.

Thank you for the reply back I do appreciate it. Unfortunately it is hard for the experts to know what information the customers already have when they ask us for our professional opinions and insight, and therefore we try to provide a complete answer rather than a partial one. Hopefully the information you have will get the pool up and running for a long time.

One of the goals here at Just Answer, is to provide each customer with the best experience possible and for the experts to earn a 5 Star Rating based on their responses, recommendations, and professionalism, when answering questions. If I have achieved that goal for this question, please take a few moments to rate my service and select the 5 Stars before logging out.

It has been my pleasure providing an answer for you today, however if additional service is needed, please use the reply box to let me know and I will respond back once I have the requested information.

Enjoy the rest of your day,

Dave

David Bowden
David Bowden, Pool and Spa Certified

Thank you very much for the positive rating, I sincerely ***** ***** If you need further assistance or help with another question, just let me know.

Best,

Dave