Pool and Spa

Questions about pool repair? Ask an Expert online.

Was out of town recently and neighbor called about "water…

Was out of town...

Was out of town recently and neighbor called about "water running everywhere" Got home to find the domed lid had blown off my Triton sand filter. Never seen it in almost 20years of history with this pool. cleaned up, relubed the gasket, reattached, turned on the pump and as soon as it got full prime, it blew off again. Was not watching the pressure guage, so I have no idea how high it was running. I did backwash the day I left town, so filter not plugged up.. Could something have clogged my heater or outlet lines out of the blue? How do I find out the source of the problem?

Contractor's Assistant: Who manufactured the pool?

Dunno. was there when I bought the house 20yr ago. inground gunnite with plaster.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Depends. usually do unless I have no time.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not that I'm aware of. the pump was replaced about 6yr ago, Pentair variable speed. Nothing has changed.

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/26/2018
David Bowden
David Bowden, Pool and Spa Certified

Hello and welcome to Just Answer… My name is ***** ***** allow me a few moments while I do some research, my recommendation will appear shortly.

Can you upload a photo of the filter where the top blew off so I can see what may be causing the problem.

Not at the house. . . .didn't take any yesterday.
it didn't shear the threads, I'm just guessing it pushed hard enough that the fiberglass collar "stretched" enough to let it loose. I can rethread it but get same result.

Perhaps the threads are stripped not allowing a tight fit? Pumps only produce about 25PSI or less which is not enough pressure to force a top off unless it is too loose.

Except nothing has changed. is it possible something got clogged on the post-filter plumbing causing no outflow from filter?
Sounds like new filter regardless, but how do I make sure the heater and supply lines are clear?
filter is over 20years old, so lid may not be as tight as "brand new", but never had any issues until last week (when out of town naturally)

Once you get the filter lid secured the way to verify no blockage is on the return line in the pool. If no problems the suction side (inside the skimmer) will be strong and the water flowing back into the pool (return) which is usually around 3' below the top of the pool. If you don't have either of those then you have a blockage, but it should still not force the lid off.

Guess the threads just got old like me and decided it was time to give up.
Pump primed quickly and flooded pot skimmer quickly and evacuated all air, so that means we are flowing. Afraid I can't keep the filter lid on long enough to go get a good look in skimmers and feel of the return nozzles . . .New filter sounds like first move. Guess I could order a new filter lid first and see if the threads there are the ones that are weak . . .

Possibly, however 20 yrs is a long time on a filter, plus getting a replacement lid may not be an easy find... oh well at least you know what to do once you solve the filter issue.

One of the goals here at Just Answer, is to provide each customer with the best experience possible and for the experts to earn a 5 Star Rating based on their responses, recommendations, and professionalism, when answering questions. If I have achieved that goal for this question, please take a few moments to rate my service and select the 5 Stars before logging out.

It has been my pleasure providing an answer for you today, however if additional service is needed, please use the reply box to let me know and I will respond back once I have the requested information.

Enjoy the rest of your day,

Dave

David Bowden
David Bowden, Pool and Spa Certified

Thank you very much for the positive rating, I sincerely ***** ***** If you need further assistance or help with another question, just let me know.

Best,

Dave