Pool and Spa

Questions about pool repair? Ask an Expert online.

Trying to track a heating issue. We are newer spa owners, I…

Customer Question
Trying to track a...

Trying to track a heating issue

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

We are newer spa owners, I just found your site

Contractor's Assistant: Who manufactured the spa?

Its a sundance Tango

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes if possible

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I have tested the flo switch, it is good, the heater has come on but then shuts down, I feel its the high limit

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Pool and Spa
I have a Tango Sundance Spa, The heater is failing. I have checked the flo switch, temp sensor and I did a check on the high limit/freeze sensor. I have the chart to test the resistance of that sensor to check it.
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/17/2018
Pool and Spa Expert: Bill, Technician replied 4 months ago
Bill
Bill, Technician

Is 220v going to heater? Or the heater is not getting power?

we are running on 110 15amp so the heater is running 110 volt 1kw
there are no codes, the heater did cycle on and I checked the amp draw on the heater. it was drawing 8 - 9 amps and then it stopped again. could the high limit be sending a bad reading? I have the chart to test the resistance on that sensor

Ok so your issue is the heater loses 115v from a safety or control...NOT that is has proper power to heater but no heat?

that seems correct

Ok the choices start with the sensor inline to the temp control. Can you test that value of resistance to see what the sensor "thinks" the temp is?

the sensor on the heater or the sensor in the filter area?

The flow switch we can just bypass..(just for testing)....the sensor is the one we cannot bypass..it has to input a value for the temp...or wht it thinks the temp is.

sensor is good, issue was a connection in the wire added by the previous owner having it serviced and the crimp was loose...

So I assume then it was a wire in the sensor circuit since it had no error?

I am glad you tracked it down. Are you all set for now then?

It is still intermittent

is the sensor in the circuit that is spliced?

can you remove the sensor and ohm to your resistance chart? Then ohm the wire ends including splice?