Pool and Spa

Questions about pool repair? Ask an Expert online.

I recently purchased a used Hydro Spa hot tub ... it had a…

Hello... I recently purchased...

Hello... I recently purchased a used Hydro Spa hot tub ... it had a seized motor which I have replaced and seems to be working... however, it seems to only heat when the motor runs on high... not on low as it should. This seems unusual to me. is there a programming glitch, of did the previous owner cross a wire or 2?

Contractor's Assistant: Who manufactured the spa?

The label on the circuit box and panel says Hydro Spa

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I have so far

2/19/2018
Bill
Bill, Technician

The heater can only work if a flow switch makes contact. It sounds like your flow is too low in lower speed. Try the unit with the filters out and tell me if the heater starts to work.

I tried that,
It's still running the same.
Could the heating element be going bad?

The element is either on or off. Have you tested the flow switch?

If you mean the pressure switch
I put a voltmeter on it
And got no reading

can you remove the 2 wires to it and start tub and after the pump starts (low) connect the 2 wires together.

Tell me if heater engages

When I jumped the leads
It ran the same, however the heater did not kick on
Also
I found the themostat was up to 103 this weekend.
I have it set for 100

But moving pump to high starts heater?

Heater only runs on high

well it is not a usual problem. I am afraid this is one that needs troubleshot on site with a meter and schematic to make sure it is wired oem and no changes made. I apologize but this is a strange one.

I will open this to the others so they can have a look.

Bill
Bill, Technician
Thanks