Pool and Spa

Questions about pool repair? Ask an Expert online.

My hot tub is not heating. It is an L.A. Spas model esteem…

My hot tub is not...
My hot tub is not heating. It is an L.A. Spas model esteem from around 2005 (I can get exact year if needed). I have recently replaced the flow switch and the circulation pump. The heater light is on and the circulation pump is running fine. I put my hand on the heater and it is not warm.I tested the impedance of the hi-limit probe and it was 19.4kOhms. My understanding is that means it's ok? If it were failing it would be a short? The part number of the hi-limit probe is 9920-400902.If that's the case then I guess I need a heater. I disconnected the power to the heater so I could measure the impedance of the element and it was open circuit. That means it's bad, right? I have a Laing heater model number SEH-4100-NHCW
IMG_0449.jpgIMG_0449.jpgIMG_0445.jpgIMG_0445.jpgIMG_0441.jpgIMG_0441.jpgIMG_0434.JPGIMG_0434.JPGIMG_0429.JPGIMG_0429.JPG
1/16/2018
TheHotTubGuy
TheHotTubGuy, Hot tub service and repair.

Hello.

If your "heater on" light is on, you should be heating. It is not unusual to NOT feel a temp difference in the water temp and heater body temp with your bare hand.

If you remove the heater black/white power wires from the circuit board and test for continuity across them and get none, the heater is bad.

If that is the case, replace the heater assembly.

Standing by.

Hi,It's been running for days and hasn't heated at all. It's definitely not heating. Yes, I did exactly what you described, disconnected the power to the heater, and measure the impedance. It was open circuit - no conductivity at all. This is an old spa, so there aren't many places that still sell the heater I need. Here's one place I can find this SEH-4100-NHCW heater.http://www.dynastyspaparts.com/products/12208-heater-assembly-4-1-kw-circ-system-3-4-in-hose-barb-24-i.htmlHowever, please look at the picture I attached, IMG0445.jpg. That is a picture of my heater from the bottom. Notice the two small red lines coming into the heater. I think those come from the larger pumps, perhaps to prime the circulation pump if that's needed for an air pocket. Looking at the link to the part I sent above that I can purchase, I see where the "T" for these two red lines would go, but there's no "T" on the heater. Looking at the heater installed on my spa, that "T" goes into the heater with what looks to be some silicon. Do I need to buy the "T" as well? Or do I pull it out of my current heater, clean it up, and press it into the new heater with some silicon?Lastly, was I correct in understanding that the fact that the hi-limit probe was around 20kOhms that it is still working correctly? I would hate to purchase a heater only to find the hi-limit probe was the problem. The control panel is not displaying in error codes like hi-temp or anything like that.Tom Z

Without seeing where the red tubing goes to, I would expect they maybe go to the main pumps to circulate a small amount of heated water through each pump's plumbing circuit while the pumps are at rest to prevent any freeze ups.

The T fitting may or may not come with a new heater assembly. If so, it will be installed, otherwise, you will have to swap it out. You will have to carefully remove the 2 hoses and use teflon tape or silicone to reinstall it into a new unit if necessary.

Here is a part number to search for sources. It is used is several brands/models of tubs. C3236-1A

I hope this answers your question. Sorry for the bad news, but you will have to replace the heater assembly to get back to heating.

If I have answered your question thoroughly, please leave a kind rating so I will be paid for my time. If you have any further question about the heater, please ask.

Thank you.

The C3236-1A is not the same heater. For example, here's a link to that part:https://www.wildwestpoolsupplies.com/thermcore-heater-assembly-4-0kw-240v-lo-flow-c3236-1a/Notice how different the hose connections are from my heater.http://www.dynastyspaparts.com/products/12208-heater-assembly-4-1-kw-circ-system-3-4-in-hose-barb-24-i.htmlYes, your support has been great. It will take a few days for this part to arrive. If I have questions during installation, will you support me on this ticket?

The part I suggested is the generic replacement and some differences may exist due to fitting several installations. The main difference I see is some sites show a power cord while others show pigtail wiring. My wholesale source has that generic model pictured exactly as yours. It is possible it the same at other sites with stock pics or possibly they are different. If you are unsure and don't want to fiddle with installing a new unit, go with the source at Dynasty.

You will have to remove/replace the T fitting and it is a priced a little higher but may be worth it.

Yes, I will be available after an accept if you need help or have questions at that time. Just log in a continue.

Thank you.

Ya, I definitely don't want to change to a heater that has different connection locations for the hoses. The spa is 10 years old, and the hoses are not flexible at all anymore. It will be best to have an exact replacement, rather than try to route additional hose around.So, that "T" fitting will just unscrew from my current heater? I imagine it will be tight from the silicon but once I break the bond on it, I should be able to remove and reuse it on the new one?

Yes that T fitting is just a plastic piece with threads. After removing the hoses, it will unscrew by hand easily. Clean the old silicone off really well because new silicone will not stick to old silicone. You can then just rap some teflon tape around the threads and reinstall it if you don't want to mess with silicone and letting it dry. If the small hoses give you a difficult time, cut them off flush and slice the cut part off once the T is removed. Use a heat gun/hair dryer to soften the small hoses and slide/clamp them back on. There should be enough red hose to reattach them after cutting such a small end off if necessary.

Same heat gun/hair dryer on the main water hoses to soften them up for removing and reinstalling them. Reuse the clamps.

Don't worry too much, the fitting will remove by hand.

TheHotTubGuy
I just wanted to follow up and let you know the heater install went great, and all is working now. Thanks for all the tips, especially the heating of the tubing to get it back on easily. That worked excellent.
Excellent!
Thank you for the kind rating and the update
TheHotTubGuy
TheHotTubGuy